ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's transfer portal strategy - what is it and will it work?

gocalbears1994

Butte Community College
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2012
SF Bay Area
I’ve been pondering what is Cal’s transfer portal strategy and was curious whether you all think it is likely to succeed.

I know we won’t obviously know until these players are in actual games in the Fall, but given we’re about to get our 10th transfer portal commit (likely David Reese), which is the same number of high school commits for the year. So clearly, there’s been a shift in Cal’s strategy given the big impact from NIL + transfer portal.

Besides the obvious (get players that fill a need, get the most talented athletes ideally 4* or 5*, recruit to your system), it feels like Cal’s recent transfer portals also are the following:
  • 4* athletes that are early in their career (QB Sam Jackson), that are eager to play but haven’t started yet
  • 4* athletes that are late in their career and have had limited or mixed success at their first school (David Reese, LB Sergio Allen, RB Justin Williams-Thomas, RB Byron Cardwell, WR Brian Hightower), but perhaps because they were at blue blood programs and were stuck in the depth chart and are still possibly high ceiling players
  • 3* athletes that were really productive at lower tier schools (DB Nohl Williams, DB Kaylin Moore), so proven production even if they weren’t highly touted out of HS
  • 3* workhorse type athletes (TB Asher Alberding, TE JT Byrne) with specific skillsets (blocking TE) and high character guy

So, I'm wondering: do you think the above summarizes Cal's strategy? What am I missing?

More importantly, are you guys optimistic this might actually work and we have a winning season in 2023 (based on these transfers really contributing to more wins for Cal)?

Reactions: Bubba_Bear84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.