ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the Pac-12 teams: Week 9

NoQuestionRox

What a Bonanza!
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2008
I know everyone thinks the conference sucks, but it's looking like the reality is it's just the two best teams are turning out to be ones different than expected, and the ones expected to perform haven't.

I've never heard of anything more shocking than OSU beating Colorado after being down 31-3 in the 3rd quarter. I must watch this online somewhere just to see how it happened.

But the biggest thing you notice is the difference in outcomes based on health of key players and who is playing QB. This makes assessing these teams so difficult. Cal got beat in games starting what seems to have been the wrong QB. Cal faced a different OSU QB than who lit up Colorado. Browning was benched and his backup threw a pick 6 that was difference in game. Bryce Love has been hurt. Khalil Tate has been hurt. USC played its #3 QB.

1. Washington State 7-1 (4-1)
Give them credit for overcoming the Oregon euphoria to nip Stanford on the road, in a game they easily could have lost. I don't think they are the best team, but they beat the team I think is best, so I must give the Cougs the benefit of the doubt.
Next: Cal

2. Utah 6-2 (4-2)
Don't know how in the hell they lost to UW at home. On a neutral field, they beat the Cougs because their defense is the best in the conference, and frankly one of the best in the country.
Next: at ASU

The top two have clearly separated themselves, and nice that they are from different divisions, but throw a blanket over pretty much everyone. Some of the most ridiculous scores you will ever see: Oregon 42 Cal 24, UA 24 Cal 17, UCLA 37 Cal 7, Cal 49 OSU 7, UW 10 Cal 12, OSU 41 Col 34, Oregon 15 Arizona 44, UW 21 Utah 7, Utah 28 WSU 24, Arizona 10 Utah 42, Utah 41 UCLA 10, Utah 40 Stanford 21, Stanford 20 ASU 13, WSU 41 Stanford 38, you get the idea. Pretty hard to determine who the best teams are when they knock each other off and you can't make rhyme or reason because injuries and personnel decisions and just styles of play determine so much.

3. Stanford 5-3 (3-2)
Yeah, they aren't great, but who should be above them? Their losses are to the two teams above, and Notre Dame, with a combined 21-3 record. Easily the toughest schedule in the conference, and given how bad UW is on offense, I'm thinking they will win in Seattle. We'll see.
Next: at Washington

4. Washington 6-3 (4-2)
Nice to see Chris Peterson is human. I'll bet Husky fans have him on a spit this morning. You can excuse Cal for a terrible offensive performance against a good defense, but you can't really excuse Washington - with much more offensive skill talent than Cal has - against a good defense. The Utah win still does matter, but this team has real problems on offense.
Next: Stanford

-----Realistic Conference Championship Contenders-----

5. Cal 5-3 (2-3)
You could argue they could/should be as good as 7-1 (4-1), but I think also the fact they got drilled by Oregon who got drilled in Tucson, makes one wonder if that can really be said. And tough to say you should have won a game that was 37-7. Cal may have the best defense in the conference, but the O is just far too limited. Could they achieve my pre-season 7-5 prediction?
Next: at Washington State

6. Oregon 5-3 (2-3)
Sure they beat Cal handily, but we can't necessarily always judge on head-to-head outcomes. That was a truly pitiful showing in Tucson, and the Ducks scored a grand total of 8 points in their last two first halves.
Next: UCLA

7. ASU 4-4 (2-3)
When the Sun Devils play, you will at get your money's worth, as 6/8 of their games have been decided by a TD or less. Hard to tell if they are over or underachieving. Might be better than Cal and Oregon, but they have no win over anyone above them in these rankings.
Next: Utah

8. Arizona 4-5 (3-3)
Tate looked the best I've seen him all year against Oregon. He was fantastic. Arizona's "terrible OL" dominated the Ducks for over 200 yards rushing, and their D was solid too. Was really impressed by their pass defense and how hard they were hitting Duck receivers.
Next: Colorado

9. USC 4-4 (3-3)
Starting to feel better about the fact these guys missed Oregon and Washington this season, and I guess we can be thankful now the Pac-12 didn't call targeting on Gustin vs.Cougs. Otherwise, they'd be 3-5 and Helton's head may be on a pike. As it is, tough for a team to make hay with the personnel shuffling they have had, including playing #3 QB.
Next: at Oregon State

10. Colorado 5-3 (2-3)
Cue the Price is Right "you lose horn" for the Buffs. HOW do you blow a 31-3 lead to a team that lost at home 49-7 the week before? The last three weeks Colorado has had worse and worse games. If they don't find a way to win at Tucson, they could be looking at a 7-game skid to end the season!
Next: at Arizona

11. UCLA 2-6 (2-3)
I guess if the Bruins were gonna pick a year to suck, it might as well be when the rest of the conference isn't really covering itself in glory.
Next: at Oregon

12. Oregon State 2-6 (1-4)
Congratulations to the Beavs for vaulting from #13 to #12 in my rankings! There still is too much suckage on the resume to be any higher, but they played a different QB (Lutton) against Colorado than Cal. Still, in one game the Beavs have gone from complete joke to legit football team, which is what I thought they were.
Next: USC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News