ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notes: October 14th

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
It's still a dead period until the new year, but here's a few notes for the day.

Who's Left in 2021

Schuster: Cal and Minnesota
Cardwell: Cal, UCLA, Texas A&M, Florida
Karlaftis: Cal, Purdue

These have long been the last three targets in the class, as the Bears look to round their class out at 22. While it’s not quite the ‘get a whole 22’ that Justin Wilcox noted back in September (with regard to getting a full offense and defense), landing these last three would be massive for momentum toward the 2022 class, which is going to be smaller because of what the Bears have.

Schuster appears to be headed for a commitment in a couple weeks, date has been pretty nebulous from my point of view, might be more of a tossup between Cal and Minnesota, but I think Cal can win out here. Cardwell has always been a wait and see guy, who wants to take visits to his top schools. Karlaftis has always been a guy who would have to visit, and that still hasn’t happened. There hasn’t been too much in the way of change here for the group, and with a lot of states still not playing high school football until spring, I don’t expect any names to be added to this group at the moment.

One note I did find interesting in an Adam Gorney article on Deacon Hill (Wisconsin QB commit from Santa Barbara) is that Cal has texted him a few times. I don’t expect that to really lead anywhere at this point.

Cal’s early enrollees as it stands now: Jermaine Terry, Bastian Swinney, Akili Calhoun, Kaleb Higgins, Ryan Lange, Patrick Hisatake

2022 starts to become a bit more important here, though one of the early focuses in the class is off the table. Sam Roush, from Valley Christian in San Jose, committed to Stanford earlier this week. Roush is a bit raw and didn’t have too much in the way of stats, but he’s projectible and explosive from the tight end spot, easy to see why he was an early four star.

That makes tight end even more important in this class. Brodie Tagaloa, at De La Salle, is an early local target to like, along with Schuster’s teammates at Tumwater (WA), Ryan Otton and Austin Terry. Otton has a brother at UW (Cade), so he may join up with family there, but Terry was very productive as a sophomore and has great size for the position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News