ADVERTISEMENT

Key Quotes: Cal commit Jacobi Gordon recaps official visit

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Hey guys, I just interviewed Jacobi Gordon about his official visit over the weekend. He really loved his experience. As sort of a side, but very important note, he talked a little bit about Jordan Brown and how much Cal is making him a focus. While not directly saying this, he implicitly said that Cal feels really good about their chances with Jordan. That was the vibe I got from our conversation. He said Jordan was supposed to be at the game, but something came up, which we already knew. I found that tidbit of info to be very interesting.

Below are key quotes. The rest will be saved for the article.

"Actually, I loved the official visit. They really went all out for it. The hotel, everything was planned out and we actually did it. When I first got there, they picked us up. I ate first and then I got a chance to go to class with one of the players, I then met with an academic advisor. Then I had dinner. I met the strength and conditioning coach Coach Jackson. I liked him. I like how passionate he is. He really cares about us. He’s really there to get us bigger and stronger for the next level. I really like that. A lot of energy he’s a great coach." -Jacobi Gordon on initial impressions of his visit.

"It was a psychology class. I didn’t expect it to be that small of a class. When you’re in college you expect 300 kids, but this had around 50. It was a lecture, but it was also a conversation class."-Jacobi Gordon on the class he visited.

"On the second day, we woke up, had breakfast at the hotel (The Claremont), then we watched the team practice for an hour/hour and a half. Then we went to the game. My favorite part was to see the football game. I got to be on the field and met Tony Gonzalez. Seeing the student section for USC and crowd, seeing how many people came out was crazy. It was a great experience being the team. I got to meet recruits of different sports, too. During the game, I thought there was a lot of energy. Real passion. I like how everyone came out to support the team. The energy was great in the stadium. I t was loud. It was even loud in the student section. That was great."-Jacobi Gordon on his second day.

"He [Tony Gonzalez] is a really cool guy. We had a whole conversation. He told me about his days playing football and basketball. He told me to just enjoy it. He loved it there. He told me that when I get there to enjoy it and take full advantage of it."
-Jacobi Gordon on meeting Tony Gonzalez.

"Darius McNeill. We played on the same AAU team with Chris [Walker]. We have a good connection on offense. We’re really close. He was the recruit host for me. I had a photo shoot with my jersey and after that we had dinner with the coaches. After that I went back to his dorm and hung out with him. As far as the rest of the team, the team is really cool. They work really hard. Coach Jones and Coach Chris [Walker] make sure they go hard. They play hard every possession. It was like they just started working together, but other than that they looked good. I see them doing something good this year."
-Jacobi Gordon on who he is close with on the team.

"I talked to Andre Kelly at the football game. I talked to his dad, mainly. He told us he’s looking forward to us and just talking about looking forward to the season. I haven’t seen Andre play, other than watching some tape. He’s a big kid. That’s a big body down there for that four spot. I know they are really focusing on Jordan Brown. He was supposed to be there, but he changed his date. Something came up. That’s what the coaches said." -Jacobi Gordon on Andre Kelly and Jordan Brown.

"Coach Jones says they’ll put me into the pile when I get there. I got to be ready to go. I’m going to have to learn certain things. I’m looking forward to just the whole experience. I’m looking forward to helping them get to that next level and that’s where I want to get to in my first and second year. I’m going to play the 2, the 3, and a little bit of the 4. That part excites me. It shows that they are looking for me to do big things. I’m going to have to keep coming competing and making an immediate impact. When you hear that from a college coach, that’s amazing."-Jacobi Gordon on what his role will be on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News