ADVERTISEMENT

How well do Dykes and his staff evaluate HS talent?

Calhoopfan

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2001
More important IMO than star ratings is how well our staff scouts and finds great fits for their systems.

We've all watched Oregon, Wisconsin, Baylor, TCU, Boise State and Kansas State achieve a consistent high level winning program without top notch star rated recruiting classes while we witnessed up close how top flight recruiting doesn't equate to wins late in the Tedford era.

Data is limited to date, but based on what you've seen and heard, how would you evaluate Dykes talent evaluation skills? I limit the question to HS players because I believe JC recruiting is need filling and offers less opportunity to find "fits" and "gems".

Here are Dykes HS recruits to date who are still on the roster:

2013:

Allensworth
Anderson (K)
Austin
Borrayo
Bunte
Cheek
Cochran
Coleman
Davison
Goff (Really a Tedford eval)
Hinnant
Hudson
Johnson
Mekari
Muhammed
Walker

Allensworth is starting and has flashed potential. Anderson is a bust to date, Austin looks like a solid contributor but not a star, Borrayo is a stud, Bunte is a ?, Cheek is a ?, Cochran is in the two deeps but if he doesn't earn the RT job we'll likely classify him as a miss, Coleman is our nickel back and is solid, Davison is a ?, Hinnant is similar to Cochran, Hudson is a buddy stud, Johnson looks like a stud based on coaches comments, Mekari looks to be solid, Muhammed is a contributor but nothing more, Walker is meh

I'd give his class a too early grade of B- in terms of evaluation.

2014:

Anoi
Bennett
Brown
Downs
Emisibe
Enwere
Forest
Greathouse
Tartabull
Tongliava
Trani
Watson
Westerfield

I think we got something here. Way too early and easy to be overly optimistic but this class screams potential. Anoi is huge and can move, looked real good in limited action; Bennet's a ?; Brown looked like a stud on film and solid this Spring; Downs is a future star; Emisibe had a good spring but is a ?; Enwere's got a bright future and will likely see the 2nd most carries this Fall; Forest looks like a hidden gem with his arm and accuracy; Greathouse is a ?; Tartabull is a ?; Tongiliava was impressive as a true frosh; Trani is a ?; Watson looks to me like a meh; Westerfield can play and has a bright future. After only one season, I see 6-7 future starters easily

While we have nothing to go on other than Spring practice for Powell and Bowers and highlight film for everyone else but I think the 2015 class is even stronger than 2014. Net net is that while there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about Dykes, my sense is one of the positives for him is his and his staff's ability to scout and evaluate talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News