ADVERTISEMENT

August 7th Recruiting Notes

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Currently Cal sits at a 13 man class, with most recent commit, long snapper Slater Zellers. With the current scholarship numbers in our handy dandy scholarship chart, there’s only 8 spots left for the 2018 class (with Daniel Juarez taking a medical retirement), but that’s sure to change with attrition. At this point, I expect about 10-11 more members of the class of 2018 for the Bears in recruiting to finish the class. (Probably 11, my numbers come to that as far as position needs go)

What they’re looking at left:

RB: 2
WR: 1
TE: 1
OL: 2
DL: 2
LB: 2
DB: 1

Class Composition Stuff:

With the commitment of Zellers, Cal landed a player from outside of the state of California for the first time in this class, and for the first time since Ben Moos committed back on National signing day. Some fun numbers for 2018:

12/13 recruits from California
8/13 from Northern California

Last full Sonny class from 2016

14/27 from California
2/27 from Northern California (Curhan and Kunaszyk)

12/24 from California
5/24 from NorCal (depending on whether you can call Fresno Northern California, I included it for now)

We have beaten this to death, but recruiting Northern California is an absolute must. Teams across the country who’ve had success recruited their areas better than anyone. Miami built a powerhouse recruiting in Miami. Wisconsin is consistently good because they recruit their area (which happens to be filled with massive, cheese-fed linemen). Houston made a return to prominence under Tom Herman by recruiting the Houston-area hard. The list goes on.

Depending on how they finish or how they offer going forward, they could have double digits in terms of NorCal recruits (admittedly talent in the Bay Area is better this year than in years past, but still). Ideally, they’d land Manoa, Mello, and Tremblay, putting them at 11/24 for NorCal guys in the class, which would be impressive for Wilcox’s first haul.

QB spot is the only one that’s done. Shrout is the guy, now it’s to surround him with guys who he can throw to and be protected by

RBs are still open, wouldn’t be surprised to see Allen commit somewhat soon. After that, one of Cunningham/Newton/Brown Jr. would be the target

WRs: Still after Enis, Porter and Devon Williams, after that Nunn from Serra is someone I’d expect to be offered after a couple weeks, nothing new here

OL: Patterson is off the board, what I've surmised from talking to people is that Patterson did want to come here, but they’d taken a silent commit already and didn’t have room for him. On the board are Brandon Mello, Matthew Cindric, Chris Murray

TE: Isaiah Smalls would be the main target here, though if they could somehow pull Luke Ford, that would be incredible (not looking likely at the moment), other than that, there's a couple JuCo guys they're looking at, but haven't offered at the moment

DL: Manoa, Tremblay, Zion Tupuola-Fetui, admittedly I’m not sure how good the chances are with Tremblay. His brother did play for DeRuyter, but he’s gotten a number of big offers this spring/summer. Tupuola-Fetui is an intriguing prospect as far as versatility goes, a big OLB/DE hybrid pass-rushing type

LB: Merlin Robertson, Masina, Winston, Tafisi. I think they end up with Robertson and Tafisi, as you get a rangy defender in Robertson, and a hard hitting presence in Tafisi, both who can play ILB, which is a big need

DB: Churchwell at safety, though they are still pursuing Malone Mataele (committed to Utah)

The picture's getting a bit clearer as the OL situation starts to clear out, as Greatwood is a much better recruiter than previously surmised. Biggest hole right now is DL, but if they can land 2 out of those 3, which is in the realm of possibility, I think a lot of people would be satisfied.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News