ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Valdes may return to Cal men's basketball team

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Xavier Valdes, who some of you may remember, played on the Cal men's basketball team in the 2014-15 season as a walk-on, but did not play during the season due to a hamstring injury. Xavier has told me that he would like to play for the team again and looks to contact Cuonzo Martin with the hopes of running with the team in the summer and see what happens. He is entering his junior year at Cal and is listed at 6'10". If Cuonzo Martin is looking for another big to add some depth in the front court, Xavier Valdes may be an option. It'll be interesting to see if he resumes his collegiate basketball career at Cal.

In my opinion, I don't see why not. He knows the system, the players, and the coaching staff. If he is healthy to go, Cal should give him another shot. Now, that being said, I don't see him getting a scholarship. If he were to play this upcoming season, he would be a walk-on like he was his freshman season.

Now, as far as whether or not I actually see him playing on the team next season, I would say he probably doesn't, but you never know. The fact that he did not play on the team last season seems to indicate that Cal probably won't add him to their roster, but it doesn't mean they won't. Ian Proulx of Stanford didn't play on the team until his senior year after initially coming to Stanford his freshman year with the hopes of being a walk-on. So, this kind of stuff does happen, just not very often.

Reactions: andrewvidales
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News