ADVERTISEMENT

Some Perspective and Thoughts on Cal's 2016 Class Thus Far

Marc Tausend

Lazy and Disrespectful
Dec 14, 2010
Some fun facts and comparisons I've been thinking about:
  • All 9 commits are from the state of California. 12 of the 23 signees in 2015 were in-state.
  • Every commit holds at least 1 other Pac-12 offer. 10 of Cal's 2015 signees did not.
  • 2 commits also hold offers from USC. The last two guys who held USC offers and signed with Cal? Bryce Treggs and Moose Jalil.
  • 9 commits right now. This time the last 5 years, Cal had: 2,4,4,2,and 2 commits
  • 3 guys (Beck, Gilliam, and Juarez) committed within four days of receiving their offer. Guys that aren't scrubs are jumping on Cal offers. Let that sink in.
Class breakdown by lead recruiter:
  • Peeler: Juarez, Curhan and Echols
  • Franklin: Rogers, Gilliam and Clark
  • Burns: Dismuke, Thompson and Beck
My quick thoughts:
  • I am immensely impressed with the talent the staff has assembled so early. I worry little about star rankings at this juncture, and every guy passes the eye test. Talent-wise, this is one hell of a haul.
  • I'm not worried about linebacker recruiting.
  • I am worried about defensive line recruiting.
  • No one should be worried about wide receiver recruiting.
What other conclusions should be drawn from this? Admittedly not much, and a lot can and will happen between now and NSD. But momentum is real right now, and the staff is generating real excitement about the trajectory of the program. The challenge with early commits is retaining them. And it goes without saying, but since someone will it might as well be me: gotta win this fall.

Nonetheless, thought this was all interesting and worth sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News