ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship Numbers for 2017

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
There weren't too many seniors leaving this season, with 12 scholarship seniors going out this year by my count

Seniors:
Webb
Muhammad
Worstell
Borrayo
Moore
Stuckey
Granado
Wilson
Manley
Walker
Vanderbilt
Northnagel

Cal used 82 of their 85 scholarship spots this year by my count, with a number of guys who played often (McMorris, Beito, Ooms, and Ashtyn Davis) playing as walk-ons. So with the 12 guys leaving and three open slots, that leaves 15 scholarships open at the current juncture. There were four scholarships from attrition last spring to the summer in Aaron and Strickland leaving, and Drew and Piatt having injuries, but one of those was filled by either Worstell or Northnagel

Currently, the class of 2017 sits at 14
Garbers
Ali-Walsh
Johnson**
Hawkins
Saffell
Roddick
Cherry**
Funches*
Patton*
Scott
Godfrey
Onyemaobi
Hardimon
Genmark-Heath
* Already signed
** Signed an FAA agreement

Daniel Juarez greyshirted due to back issues, so he'll take up a scholarship in the spring, which would be scholarship number 15.

Now, Cal's looking to have a class of around 18-20, so there has to be some attrition at one point or another. And that goes along with wanting to put some of those contributors on scholarship (Ooms and McMorris especially).

A curious case is with Derron Brown and Antoine Albert. Albert did not play this season, seemingly redshirting, and Brown redshirted due to a hand issue. Both were seniors who got pushed way down the depth chart. *Albert walked with the seniors, so that signals him being gone.

Aaron Cochran has been rumored to be gone as a grad transfer, though nothing is confirmed either way.

There's an outside chance Chad Hansen could go to the NFL early, but considering his comments at the end of the year, I think he's coming back.

There's other redshirt juniors that may end up leaving as grad transfers. As has been discussed here before, there's been trouble getting into grad school at Cal. At the moment, I don't know of any specific names in this area other than Cochran, and everything we've heard about him is just rumors for now.

Where do they go from here recruiting-wise? I'd say they want at least one more offensive lineman (The Juarez greyshirt would take them up to four OL for the class, which seems to be a nice number), along with a few extra defenders to bring the class up to 20. Main OL target left at the moment would be Nick Ford in my opinion. On defense, KJ Jarrell is visiting at the end of January, Michael Sewell (JC All-American) got re-offered (possibly due to grades issues) the other day, and Victor Jones is still in the realm of possibility.

TL;DR Not a lot of scholarships left, Cal wants a few more guys in this class, attrition will happen, just not sure where yet

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News