ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Davison Transcript: 9-11-17

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Ray talked about a number of things, he and Laird are good buddies so they had some banter throughout this one

Video of that is here

On being hungry to watch the film and correct the mistakes

Definitely, obviously we didn’t play our best game, defensively, as a team, so we absorbed the film and analyzed what we did wrong and built on that. We have some things that we’re really gonna make sure we emphasize this week.

Does it say something about this team that you guys haven’t been completely satisfied with the wins, though you’ve still gotten them

I mean, yes and no, it means that we’ve got the will to win, but each week is gonna be different, so sometimes you won’t get those same opportunities to win the game, so the opportunities that you do have during the game, you need to make sure you capitalize on those.

How rewarding is it to see all the work on takeaways come to the forefront in the first two games?

It definitely feels good, especially during a game, it helps shift momentum for our offense and things like that, for our team, so it definitely feels great, but we have to keep going, because if you don’t get those, we’ve seen that you can lose games that way, if you don’t get those turnovers, so that’s what we really want to do, make sure we get turnovers to the offense.

Thought you said something great, said a performance like this is the kind that gets you beat, is that something you passed on to your teammates, as a leader?

Definitely, I’ve been here since the 1-11 year and so hopefully it’s gotten better each year, and so I’ll want to set the bar, and have them set the bar even higher for the next person, so that’s really my goal, chomping to build that winning culture for Cal.

Are you surprised at seeing what Laird can do?

Heck no! Patrick Laird, no offense to my other teammates, but when we have our workouts during the winter and the spring, that’s who I go up against. Hey Patrick (Laird looks over)! He’s probably too far away but whenever we do our agility drills, that’s who I go against, I’m like, I want Patrick Laird, because if I can beat him in any of the agility drills as far as speed or change of direction, I can probably beat anyone in the country. He’s a smart guy, he’s the guy I make music with too so we hang out every once in awhile, but we’re not surprised at all. He’s a hard worker, he likes to read books and so he’s kinda one of those guys that he’s not gonna make any mistakes. He’s a phenomenal athlete too, he’s a deceptive athlete, so you better be on your game when you’re against Patrick Laird.

Are you enjoying being able to watch him do this on this stage?

It’s funny because everybody’s like (goes to high pitched voice) ‘oh Patrick Laird, who’s that guy,’ and I’m like ‘he does that all the time.’ He’s been doing that since the day he got here, so I’m not surprised at all.

When did you realized he could lay down the beats?

To be honest, when he first got here Khalfani came up to me, because everybody else likes music and things like that, he was like ‘Patrick Laird can make beats,’ I’m like heck no! And then one day I went over to his house and I was like woah, dude is talented, from the field to the classroom, to music, it’s crazy. So I wanna say it was about a month or two after he got here.

How often do you guys make music?

Since he goes to bed so early now, I’m serious, after he’s done reading he goes to at like 9, so I mean it’s a little bit less during the season, but for sure during the spring and summer, I was over at his house a lot.

Like 2, 3 times a week?

Probably like two.

We couldn’t get him to show any joy about his performance Saturday…

Oh yeah, he’s not going to, he’s not gonna talk about it, he’s not gonna talk about his music, he’s not gonna talk about any of it, but it’s there, you’ve got to, I don’t know, give him a cookie or something. (Yells at Laird) What kind of candy do you like?

Laird: Candy?

Davison: Yeah

Laird: I don’t eat candy..

Davison: There you go, good luck, good luck.

Have you seen much of Ole Miss, do you have any first impressions?

Definitely, a lot of athletes, a lot of size. I mean it’s SEC, things like that, you know what you’re gonna get from there, you’ve got a lot of athleticism, so you have to make sure that you’re assignment-sound, things like that. They’re a great team, so we’re just gonna prepare, be physical, and just play hard.

They’ve got almost 1000 yards passing in their first two games, is there a bit of last year’s Cal offense in what you’re seeing in them?

I wouldn’t say that, the biggest thing that we’re focusing on is how we’re going to stop what they’re doing, that’s what we’re really focusing on, making sure all the communications I talked about on Saturday, making sure everybody’s on the same page, so you can have the New England Patriots out there on Saturday, but as long as we know what we’re doing and we’re assignment sound, it really shouldn’t matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: moonpod and 90Bear
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News