ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the Pac-12 Teams: Week 3

NoQuestionRox

What a Bonanza!
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2008
OK, this is turning into a much more difficult exercise than usual. So many strange dynamics going on with many of these teams, it's probably not that surprising in retrospect. One theme that is carrying through is that the best teams in the conference are playing very good defense and struggling quite a bit on offense. The Pac-12 has more often been known for all O and no D. You could say now it's all D and no O.

2. Washington
Any win is a good one, and especially road conference game wins are, but Utah is a terrible team and Washington didn't exactly demonstrate the team dominance you want to see in a #1 conference team, so I'm not giving anyone a #1 slot.
Issue: Inconsistency on offense
Next: ASU

2. Stanford
It's pretty clear this team's defense is better than most expected and the offense is not as good as most expected. USC win now looks as unimpressive as it seemed watching that abortion of a game, so I'm left to give UW the edge because of a better loss (Auburn) than any Stanford win. Sad.
Next: at Oregon

3. Cal
Surprise, surprise sports fans. Yes, your California Golden Bears get the nod as a result of BYU winning at #6 Wisconsin. If the team Cal beat could do it, so could Cal, right? Well that's the theory anyway. I've seen enough to be skeptical of transitivity this season.
Next: Oregon

4. Colorado
Not only are the Buffs the only South team without major issues, who else would you pick to win the South this year after three weeks of games? I still hold the Nebraska win in high regard even though the Huskers lost at home to Troy also, because they didn't play with Martinez at all against Troy.
Issue: Do nothing exceptionally well; pretty even on both sides of ball
Next: UCLA

5. Oregon
This year's Washington from 2017. Really hard to judge a team that has played Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State. No benefit of the doubt for a team with all cupcakes. Herbert probably the best QB in the conference, but last year didn't do well against top competition.
Issue: Tough to tell since Ducks are 1 of 2 Pac-12 teams I've yet to see play
Next: Stanford

6. Washington State
Speaking of teams that have played nobody. The Coogs have had it arguably easier than even Oregon has so far. I'm assuming the floats are better because of Herbert and better recruiting. Leach clearly has proven he will never struggle to find a decent QB for his team.
Issue: Tough to tell given Coogs are the other Pac-12 team I have yet to see play.
Next: at USC

7. ASU
It was clear both MSU and ASU were overrated before and after they played in Week 2. SDSU is a tough place to go after the big MSU upset and before at Washington. It was the definition of a loss for most college football teams. SDSU was missing its starting QB, but it didn't hurt.
Issue: Can't run the ball.
Next: at Washington

8. USC
While JT Daniels is struggling to not make mistakes, and they have scored 17 points over two weeks, they have at least played some decent teams in those losses and demonstrated some ability. Looking like a long year for them, but given how miserable the South is, they can hold their own and hopefully right the ship to keep Helton in place :)
Issue: Terrible not just in Red Zone, but inside opponent 40
Next: Washington State

9. Utah
I can't believe they get to be this high. It's a testament to how lousy the rest of the South is that they are. This could be Wittingham's worst Utah team. They play solid defense, but to say they struggle on offense is to be kind. Huntley is awful and makes Cal's QB's look solid by comparison.

10. Oregon State
Certainly a better offense than Utah, and looking like a legit football team in terms of not being great on either side of the ball, but not altogether awful on one either. Though maybe ST is a weakness given the missed game winning FG at Nevada.
Issue: Just not enough talent overall
Next: Arizona

11. UCLA
I know the 'ruins are the only Pac-12 team without a win, and it looks like they could start out 0-6, but if they played the Oregon or WSU schedule they would have three wins now and nobody would be throwing dirt on them. Still 0-3 is 0-3, and losing at home to Cincy and Fresneck is tragic.
Issue: Too many young players playing with older ones changing systems
Next: Colorado

12. Arizona
It's quite difficult to see much difference between the bottom three, but choices must be made! The BYU loss doesn't look so bad now, and that Houston game was quite a terrible spot for them. Sure Arizona is used to 100 degree temps, but not the humidity they faced in Houston early in the am.
Issue: Green OL
Next: at Oregon State

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News