ADVERTISEMENT

Quick thoughts on the 2021 class with Kennedy "Reese" Dixon-Waters committing to USC

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
I just checked the 2021 offers list after learning that Kennedy "Reese" Dixon-Waters committed to USC yesterday. @Trace Travers with the assist there. Prior to knowing that he committed to the Trojans, I wrote earlier today that he was a "must get for the staff" and that he was the guy who I felt had the best odds of being their top get in 2021. So, with him off the board now, I was checking to see who else in the 2021 class might be the heir apparent to Bradley as the next face of the program. Cal has Bradley for two more years, so they really do need to start thinking about this.

The only guy on the offers list who I think could possibly be a big-time get for Cal in the 2021 class is 5-star small forward Peyton Watson. He's another SoCal kid. Cal also offered his younger brother Christian Watson, a 2022 3-star point guard. So, it's clear that Cal is trying to establish a relationship with the whole family. Odds are good whoever gets Peyton will get Christian as well. So it's smart that Cal offered Christian in addition to Peyton. But, given the stiff competition for Peyton, it's no guarantee Cal gets him. Especially since Fox has struck out on every major recruit he has targeted thus far.

The bottom line is I feel the 2021 class will be Mark Fox's make or break class. I was feeling relatively optimistic about Dixon-Waters becasue he visited Cal and was good to do interviews with me, most recently in January. He seemed to be genuinely interested and he values the academic side. Him being off the board is a huge blow to Cal, I think. Big enough of a blow that it prompted me to write this post. USC I knew was a contender to land him, but I didn't see him committing this soon. Watson will attract a lot of schools and won't be easy to land and quite honestly, it's hard to see any of the other top recruits on the offers list committing to Cal at this juncture.

As I have previously said, Fox has done a fantastic job when it comes to coaching and player development, but recruiting continues to be a struggle. He needs to land someone who can be the next face of the program and that needs to be a freshman who he can build around for four years. Ideally, you would have Matt Bradley and one other 4-star guy at the same time. You need at least two guys of that level to really compete.

If we're looking at a 2021 class that is the same as what the 2020 class projects to be: A pair of 3-star recruits, a transfer, and maybe an international dude, that isn't going to cut it in my book. Player development can only take you so far.

Lastly, I think Fox has something to sell after having a successful year one. I understand why recruiting was tougher earlier on with the program shaking off the stench of the Wyking Jones era. But now, after having such a successful year, there's no reason for Fox and his staff to not land at least one top recruit in 2021. Isa Silva has been the guy I've been wanting them to offer, but so far, they haven't offered despite being in to see him. Why they haven't offered yet boggles my freaking mind.

Anyways, I think I've made my point. Fox really can't afford to not land a 4-star or 5-star recruit in 2021. He just can't.

Reactions: OaktownRush
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News