ADVERTISEMENT

Our NFL Talent Level

Calhoopfan

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2001
Lots of scouts in attendance at Cal's camp this year. As many (and as high level) as the Bears have seen in 5+ years. A lot of that is Goff but they are also looking at our WR corps, Lasco, Jalil and a few others.

That got me thinking about how this current roster stacks up with NFL talent.

My short answer is we've got some and it's light on elite but heavy on "will get a long look". Here are the specifics among the draft eligible players. BTW, I'm not saying the younger guys here are coming out early, just speculating on future draft potential.

QB:

Goff - Elite; Footwork and release are top 10 draft pick. Arm is good enough. Accuracy, leadership, reading defenses and winning are what everyone will look at

RB:

Lasco - Drafted; 2nd day. Needs to stay healthy, continue to shore up his pass pro and his receiving

WR:

Lawler - Drafted; His hands, body control and red zone play making are special. Speed is decent, not super sudden out of press or in and out of cuts.
Treggs - Drafted/FA; Quick feet, good speed, tough competitor
Davis - Drafted/FA; Good length, nice top end speed and solid RAC ability. Not super strong, not as strong on balls in the air as Lawler and Harris. ST pick
Harris - FA; Good hands, nice vertical
Powe - FA; I know his production doesn't say NFL but there's a reason that McCain and Fortt are in the NFL. They like measurables and Darius has them.

OL:

Rigsbee - Drafted/FA; Smart, tough but not an elite athlete or body
Borrayo - FA; Good size and demeanor. Limited athlete and average in pass pro

DL:

Jalil - Drafted (Health?); Great size, good motor, uses hands well, some quickness. Knees are the big question mark
Looney - Drafted; Tweener size, more of a 3-4 DE than pure DT. Only 285lbs. Very good first step and lateral quickness, powerful and strong

LB:

Barton - Drafted/FA; Good quickness and short area burst. Poor ma's Mychal Kendricks in terms of build. Needs to show he can read and react and be more consistent as a tackler
Jefferson - FA (Health?); Got NFL size. Can move well and cover TEs/RBs. Not a strong read/react guy. Not a strong blitzer.
Kearney - FA; Needs to show he can still run at 235/240lbs but his quickness and coverage skills are NFL back up level

DB:

White - FA; Good not elite speed, good height, not super strong. Some upside as technique is still developing
Albert - Drafted/FA; He has NFL type build. Strong, very competitive and feisty

I think we'll see 3-5 kids drafted next year with Goff the only top 3 round guy. Expect 2-3 more to make rosters. Pretty decent haul but not a ton of special athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News