ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line in 2015

Calhoopfan

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2001
This is the second biggest priority for Cal football outside of finding a pass rush IMO.

Here's what the line looks like going into Fall Camp:

LT - Stephen Moore: 6'6" and 305lbs. Moore has played in 24 games, 23 as a starter in his two year career. He's got ideal tackle length and size and is a plus athlete at the position in terms of mobility. He'll enter Fall camp 10-15lbs bigger than he did last year which is huge and Moore at times struggled with power pass rushers and that extra weight will also aid him as a run blocker. He was inconsistent last year after moving from RT to LT but generally improved as the season went on. Can become a honors candidate this year if he remains healthy and continues to develop although not likely a 1st teamer (yet). Coming off a shoulder injury that had him out for Spring
LG - Chris Borrayo: 6'3" and 305lbs. A potential break out star on the OL, Borrayo is the loud, nasty leader of the line. Got a couple of 3rd team AP12 nods last year and Phil Steele has him as 2nd team preseason this year. 16 career starts. Feisty, quick and strong, Chris comes from a big family and was a stud wrestler in HS. All the makings of a great one. He and his partner at guard on the right side are the nucleus of this line.
C - (Matt Cochran): Matt's status is up in the air and we won't know why until Fall Camp kicks off. There's enough here to believe that he won't be part of the camp and thus is unlikely to start for the Bears vs. Grambling. Cochran is experienced having played in 15 games over the past two years including a handful of starts. He's well over 300lbs with very good strength. He's fought the injury bug at times and had a tough competition to get the starting nod over Addison Ooms this Spring.
C - Addison Ooms: 6'3" 295lbs: I watched Addison closely last Fall and was big time impressed. He comes off the ball with explosion and has very good technique. A tough, nasty demeanor as well. He looked 10-20lbs lighter than Cochran which may have led to Cochran beating him out in the Spring. Experience is another factor especially at center where all the line calls are made in this offense.
RG - Jordan Rigsbee: 6'4" and 300lbs. Rigsbee is under rated by most Cal fans with whom I speak. In part because of his lack of a great physique and in part because he played out of position last year at RT and while he played solidly he did not play as well as he had as a Sophomore when he was at guard. Rigsbee is only a half shade less nasty than Borrayo and really gets after people. Don't judge his athleticism by his gut either as he packs a punch and can finish plays down field. He's started all 36 games in his Cal career and has played center, tackle and guard. Could be an option for Cal at center with Cochran's situation being unclear
RT - Vincent Johnson: 6'5" and 295lbs. Had a very strong Spring playing both tackle positions. Coaches raved about him and his upside. Long arms. Very bright and hard working young man. Like all young OL, he could use some seasoning. Last year he got some STs snaps but nothing else. He's still my guess as the starter based simply on the fact that the coaches had stronger words for him than the other RT prospects.
A lot happens in the first two weeks of camp and this position is still very much up for grabs. Let's see who steps and wins the job

Top Reserves:

OT Brian Farley: 6'6" and 285lbs. He's played quite a bit - 16 games and 2 starts. His experience and his length are valuable. Interestingly, I believe he's a better run blocker than a pass protector despite his lack of weight. He's susceptible to strong pass rushers with decent quickness. Coaches praise him more than my eye would say makes sense.
OT Dominic Granado: 6'4" and 290lbs. Redshirted last year after being given the chance to earn the RT job. Injuries slowed him down. My sense is that he's not convinced the coaches he's more than a serviceable backup. He's a very good athlete if you've watched him run. Perhaps the fastest OL on the team. I wonder about his arm length and his strength at this level. Often takes JC kids two years for the light to go off but did not apparently light up Spring as Farley and Johnson both finished ahead of him on the depth chart
OT Aaron Cochran: 6'8" and 335lbs. I'm rooting big time for Aaron. He's huge and wicked smart. Competitive personality and carries himself with a lot of confidence. He failed to make a move up the depth chart this Spring and even saw time at guard. Could just be the light has not gone on for him yet or he may not have the feet or a nasty enough demeanor on the field.
OT: Myles Bunte: 6'7" 325lbs: Got hurt 18 months ago and missed the 2014 Spring practice. Have not heard him mentioned since. Could imagine his not being on the team this Fall
OG: Kamryn Bennett: 6'3" and 290lbs. Hearing really good things about this RS frosh
OG: JD Hinnant: 6'4" and 290lbs: Played in one game last year. Again, hearing good things about his potential.
OG Michael Trani: Has yet to practice at Cal because of injury.

Newcomers: Not usually relevant with a veteran returning offensive line but Cal has Semisi Uluave who is very mature physically and who folks who know OL (Todd Huber) believe could end up starting this year, especially given the uncertainty with Matt Cochran. Uluave was a decorated prep recruit who is simply huge. His highlight reel shows off a pure road grader who can physically dominate people.

Net: 3 months ago I clearly saw the OL as a position of strength. Four veteran starters plus a spirited competition between four capable folks for the open RT position. Now however, my tune has changed. After rewatching the 2014 season, I believe our OL has more work to do. Adcock was very solid for us and will be tough to replace especially if it's with a true or RS frosh (Uluave or Ooms). In general, our run blocking was solid and our pass protection was poor. Rigsbee was playing out of position and Moore was inconsistent at tackle and Crossthwaite (now departed) was below average IMO.

Who are our best five players: Borrayo, Rigsbee, Moore and M Cochran are our best four. If Matt cannot go, then we have three clear starters and a lot of question marks.

I would say our next two right now are Johnson and Ooms. I believe Uluave, Hinnant and Bennet may be factors as well. I'm not sold on Farley or Granado despite their experience and age advantage at a position of need. This is a major concern for our team. The implications to our defense are non trivial in terms of running the ball and the clock more effectively and giving Goff the time he needs to exploit teams with his arm and cadre of WRs - One mitigant is our new OL coach, Brandon Jones. I believe he's the real deal and in no position in college football is coaching more important than the OL. Look what Ohio State did this year as a prime example or the drop off we saw once Marshall replaced Michalzik.

We have some versatile pieces: Rigsbee could play center and then Uluave, Hinnant or Bennet could slip in a RG. Uluave has the size (not sure about his arm length or his feet) at tackle though a true frosh tackle regardless of how talented they are, scares the **** out of me. We may see the emergence of Granado or A Cochran this Fall. Perhaps Trani is a revelation and can be a factor on the interior of the line. I really hope Rigsbee does not have to go back outside. It caps the potential pass pro of this line because he's simply not that good out there and it robs the OL of a potential AP12 player.

My biggest hope is that Matt Cochran can in fact play and we're only sweating over the RT position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News