ADVERTISEMENT

New Rivals Hoops 150 rankings out for 2018: Where Cal targets fit in the picture.

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
New rankings have been released for the 2018 class. Click here for the rankings. Click here for the breakdown.

As far as Cal targets are concerned, below is a breakdown:

5-star power forward Jordan Brown remains #4 overall in the class, continuing to remain among the most elite prospects in the country. Jordan Brown is the top priority recruit for Cal in 2018. I really like Cal's chances of landing Jordan Brown. Jordan has a great relationship with the program, his dad loves the program, etc. UCLA and Stanford are the only other two schools I could see snatching Jordan away from Cal since he seems to really value the academic side of things. I intend to interview him either this month or next month. Just to get a checkup on him and hear how his season is going, etc. One thing of note is that Oregon recently offered. That doesn't change things in my book, but it is still a noteworthy offer.

5-star power forward Shareef O'Neal is the only prospect in the entire class to bump up to 5-star status. He is now ranked #16 overall in the class. He's a guy I intend to circle back on and interview. So, stay tuned for more information on that front. I know Cal really wants him, but how much interest he has in Cal might be a different story. In addition to Cal, UCLA, Arizona, and USC are on him. The best I can tell you is stay tuned on the Shareef O'Neal front. My intuition at the moment is that Cal would love to have him, but he's more intent on going to a more traditional basketball powerhouse like UCLA or Arizona. But, to be clear, stay tuned.

5-star power forward Miles Norris clocks in at #17. In addition to Cal, Arizona and Oregon are on him hard. He appeared to scrap a visit to Cal back in October, which I took to be a bad sign. But, it does sound like Cal has a chance to land him, so he's another guy I'm hoping to interview in the near future. Stay tuned on that front.

5-star center Nazreon Reid comes in at #19. He doesn't have a Cal offer at the moment, but Cal has been reportedly showing interest in his services. He's a guy who I would expect Cal to offer provided academics isn't an issue. Kansas, Maryland, Louisville, NC State, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Iowa, Syracuse, Villanova, and St. John's are the top programs that have offered. He's definitely a kid to keep an eye on in case that Cal offer does come through.

4-star point guard Brandon Williams comes in at #27. He had season-ending knee surgery, which could affect his ranking and recruitment. He has a good relationship with Cal, but Kansas and Arizona appear to be the front runners to land his services. UCLA also staying in the picture. I don't know anything about his relationship with Virginia, but they are another top offer as well.

4-star point guard Courtney Ramey comes in right behind Brandon Williams at #28. I interviewed Ramey last spring, but with no offer coming in from Cal at this point, it's hard to say if one will ever materialize. Still, I should mention him since I have interviewed him for the site since Cal has sent him a few letters and expressed interest.

4-star wing Jaylen Hoard, high school teammate of Aaron Wiggins (later on in the list), clocks in at #30. He is a guy who Cal really wants. They think very highly of him and I think are hoping that by offering him along with Hoard, they could get the two of them in a packaged deal. Maryland, Wake Forest, Providence, Oklahoma State, and Arizona have also offered.

4-star wing Jaírus Hamilton clocks in at #31. This kid is a high priority recruit for Cal. North Carolina, Louisville, Maryland, Florida, Arizona, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Stanford have all offered as well. It seems like Arizona, North Carolina, Maryland, and Louisville are the biggest competition to land him at the moment.

4-star point guard Jahvon Quinerly comes in at #39. He's a talented point guard who Cal would love to land. They are staying involved with him. Stanford, Seton Hall, Maryland, St. John's, and some other schools are also in hot pursuit. He's a kid I intend to interview in the near future. Efforts have already been made to do so, but I'll keep on trying. So stay tuned.

4-star shooting guard Jules Bernard comes in at #47. I spoke with Jules Bernard last night, so click here to read what I threaded last night in preparation for the article.

4-star wing Nassir Little clocks in at #49. Cal has expressed interest, but no offer. Stanford has offered and he has a 4.0 GPA with an intent to major in Biology. For the life of me, I don't know why Cal hasn't offered this young man. He's got all the tools Cuonzo Martin likes in wings and his grades aren't even remotely an issue.

4-star forward Taeshon Cherry clocks in at #50. Arizona appears to be the front runner, but the fact that he took an unofficial visit to Cal is encouraging. I'll keep trying to lock down an interview with him.

4-star shooting guard Eric Ayala comes in at #69. Arizona, Maryland, Cincinnati, and Indiana have all offered. Cal has not offered yet but are expressing interest. Based on my interview with him, he sounds like a kid who might take an OV to Cal if they were to offer.

4-star small forward Matt Bradley comes in at #81. USC and Cal are expressing interest. Stay tuned on that front as I will contact Matt this weekend for an interview.

4-star power forward K.J. Hymes is right behind at #82. Cal really wants this kid. Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia, Oklahoma, and Washington have also offered. I'm pretty sure he's visited both Georgia Tech and Clemson. Plans are set up for an interview this weekend. Stay tuned.

4-star shooting guard Bryce Hamilton is #102. Cal has recently started to show interest. An offer could be coming in soon.

4-star wing Aaron Wiggins comes in at #105. He's a high school teammate of Jaylen Hoard (#30 on this list). Cal loves this kid and really wants him. Like I said earlier, I think the logic behind offering Hoard and Wiggins was to see if they could land the two of them as a packaged deal. Arizona, Maryland, Providence, and Virginia Tech are also in the hunt for Wiggins.

3-star point guard Elijah Hardy comes in at #117. It is my impression that Cal isn't involved with him based on a source, but nonetheless he appears to be a kid worth keeping tabs on. I've already said a lot about him in previous board threads in regards to what I know about the situation and so I won't extrapolate any further. What I will say is that having watched him play live, I liked what I saw overall. A bit erratic at times, but he's very athletic, fearless, and tough.

3-star point guard Alex Lomax comes in at #131. I recently interviewed Alex Lomax and just did a piece on him. Cal loves this kid and he appears to love them in return. They stay in very close contact, which indicates to me that he's a kid they are in a great position to land. Memphis, Ole Miss, LSU, and Arkansas (no offer) are the ones recruiting him the hardest in addition to Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News