ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Scherbenske hire made official by Cal

Matt Moreno

Shining. 365 days a week.
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2011
California
cal.rivals.com

The Bears have now officially announced the hiring of Matt Scherbenske as assistant coach on Mark Madsen's staff. He worked at Cal under Mike Montgomery from 2011-14 as a grad assistant and video coordinator and was most recently in charge of recruiting at Texas Tech.

"Matt was instrumental in the roster-building success at Texas Tech the past two seasons and is a workhorse on the recruiting trails," Madsen said. "He knows what success at Cal looks like with his previous experience on Mike Montgomery's staff and he'll make an immediate high-level impact on our program and our student-athletes. I'm excited to have Matt wearing the Blue and Gold once again."

He went from Cal to Central Arkansas where he was an assistant and eventually associate head coach. He's got Kentucky roots and Under Armour connections as a former coach for the KC Run GMC squad based out of Kansas, which has had plenty of top tier players come through its program.

"I'm elated and thankful to return to Cal and help Coach Madsen lead this program back to its winning ways," Scherbenske said. "I first came to Berkeley more than 10 years ago and saw firsthand what it takes to make this program great. I'm excited to work alongside Coach Madsen and lead Cal men's basketball into a new era."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News