ADVERTISEMENT

Kiel Pollard Update

Marc Tausend

Lazy and Disrespectful
Dec 14, 2010
You all may recall that Cal hosted the big Georgia wideout on a multi-day unofficial visit last week. Pollard is one a of a handful of receivers that the staff has narrowed their focus onto for the last spots at the WR position in 2016.

I talked to Pollard last night about his trip, with the idea being that I'd write up a story based on what he shared during our conversation. Buuuut I opted not to go that route after speaking with him, simply because he gave me just about nothing to work with. Don't take that the wrong way, Pollard is a nice kid and was plenty courteous and engaged. But it was literally a series of one word answers, highlighted by "yessir", "great", and "cool". No real story to be woven from killer quotes like those.

But I still wanted to share my takeaways from the conversation with you, our loyal subscribers. So here were the main things I gleaned:
  • He had a terrific trip. Had never been to the Bay Area before, and was blown away by San Francisco and Berkeley. One of the lone multi-word answers he gave? "It felt like everywhere we went there was a great view of something".
  • He still intends to visit Arkansas before making a decision, but is no longer tied to the idea of committing by the end of the summer. He'd like to, but now it comes with the caveat of "If I feel ready."
  • Cal couldn't have hosted much better than they did. Obviously he got the full tour treatment, but on the football side both Peeler and Franklin pitched him on the multiple ways they could use him and the opportunity to play early. Things he liked to hear.
  • I feel less good about Cal's chances now, for the simple reason of distance. Pollard wavered when I asked if it would be a factor, and my strong impression is that his family may not want him so far from home.
So my conclusion is that while he loved the visit, Pollard is not as likely at this juncture.

That being said, Cal will be hosting two other wardaddy type wide receivers on unofficial visits over the next two months, namely Jordan Duncan and DeKaylin Metcalf...both of Mississippi. A third high priority, AJ Brown of Starkville, MS, plans to take an official visit to Cal in the fall. I'll be talking to him later this afternoon, but Cal is sitting in lofty company with him at the moment.

*glass breaks*

BAH GAWD THAT'S JACOB PEELER'S MUSIC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News