ADVERTISEMENT

Key Positional Battles

Calhoopfan

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2001
For the first time in FOREVER (Tedford was less about Fall Camp competition) we have a lot of competition for playing time this Fall. The adage is that this will make our team tougher, push players to be their best and result in more wins.

Offense:

QB: Webb vs. Forest (outside chance with Bower, Gilliam and Viramontes). Many folks think this is a fait d'accompli, others see a clear mismatch in experience and talent thus 85% of BL insiders tab Webb for the job. It feels like he's done everything right from a leadership perspective and that he has a ton of confidence in himself. He's big with a live arm as well. The reason I'd give Forest a legit shot here is mistakes and downside protection. Webb has thrown a lot of interceptions and lost his job in large part to having a high beta with his decision making. That's often not something that goes away over time and can be more innate. Forest on the other hand rarely makes a bad mistake in practice. Very accurate and very smart with a more conservative mindset.

RB: The competition here is for carries. Watson enters the camp as the guy whose likely to get the most because he's a more efficient runner than his teammates and he catches the ball really well. Muhammed's role is more likely to be set regardless, a home run threat and a real factor in certain formations and against certain defenses with his burst and speed. Don't see him having the upside as a higher carry running back. Enwere on the other hand can get more carries. If he improves his vision and decisiveness and gets even 5% quicker with his first two steps, he could get more carries at Watson's expense. He can wear down defenses behind this strong OL and has enough juice to break 15+ yards on occasion.

WR: Really, there are six slots here. 6 WRs will see 85% of the targets if the last three years has taught us anything. There are 12 guys who I believe have a shot to crack the top six. Who stays healthy, who can block, who can be the most consistent with their hands will determine most of it with Stovall, Robertson and Singleton not quite having to meet that same bar given their unique explosiveness. Feels to me that Hansen has one slot sewn up. Stovall is close to getting another one. I suspect Robertson may end up seeing less targets and the top six while still having a big impact not only at WR in certain formations/situations as well as on fly sweeps and in STs. I say that because of his hamstring and also the scouting reports on his hands being a work in progress. However, if he stays healthy and his hands are consistent, I'd write him in for another of those spots. That leaves Noa, Hudson, Duncan, Veasy, Worstall, Singleton, Bankhead, Wharton and Strickland fighting for 3-4 spots at the most competitive position group on the field.

OL: Moore, Cochran and Borrayo are sure fire starters. Ooms, Granado and Stuckey will fight it out for the Center spot with Uluave, Wallace, Palmer and Hinnant (in addition to Stuckey if he doesn't win the Center job) at right guard. Lots of fierce competition to be the first tackle of the bench between Mekari, Johnson and Bennett. Both starting positions feel up in the air to me. May take two weeks to resolve them both.

DL - Looney and Wilson are established. We will rotate 8 players here so six other spots are up for grabs. The WDE battle for week one is Westerfield vs. Saffle. Mekari has the current lead at DT opposite Looney with Manley giving the push. Beyond those six, the last two spots are between Bequette, Weaver, Johnson and Becker in my view. Davis' if eligible gets thrown in that group.

LB - More wide open than folks think. Really two spots with six competitors. Downs is the only one who has played MLB and he's a stud so big leg up for him. I think you'll see another scholarship LB shift the emphasis to that role - Anoi'a being the most obvious with his size. Davison and Brown will both play but which will start? Tongilava gets a lot of snaps IMO because of his speed and coverage ability. If they all stay healthy, I don't think you'll see folks outside those five get meaningful snaps. I like Brown, Downs, Davison and Tongilava to take 80% of the snaps this season.

Nickel - Walker is a sure fire starter with Turner almost certainly his back up. Little mystery here other than a potential position switch for Turner to safety.

LCB - Allensworth has this sewn up. His back up is a big competition with the losers of the RCB job and the true frosh factoring in.

RCB - Albert, Franklin and Psalms are the front runners. I think all three will play and if Albert wins the job then Psalms and Franklin could see time at safety. Of the true frosh, Edmonds has the size and maturity but don't count out the feisty and physical Traveon Beck.

Safety - Vanderbilt and Rambo by default are now your starters if healthy. All about the backups - Hawkins if healthy could make a big jump for PT otherwise it's position switch time with Psalms, Franklin and Turner the likely players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News