ADVERTISEMENT

House case settlement?

NoQuestionRox

What a Bonanza!
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2008
I know the expert witness for the House side of the case against the NCAA. We talked last Tuesday and he told me the NCAA could settle but doesn't seem inclined to do so. Well, according to this article, literally the next day, NCAA lawyers advised a settlement.

This dwarfs the Alston SCOTUS decision that resulted in the NIL world of college sports. This is literally the NCAA members throwing in the towel and saying "OK, we have to pay players now." This will lead to unionization and collective bargaining, and it will also get into player acquisition and compensation caps, working conditions, etc. Who the hell knows how "school" will end up fitting into this new world order, but a few thoughts.

Is Stanford ready to join this new world? I've heard Stanford partisans say Stanford would never agree to join a system to pay players because (and these are my words) that is beneath their elitism. But they did join the ACC, and have embraced NIL, so I don't know. But, if Stanford does drop out of pro college sports, Cal stands to benefit in a very big way. I know people here have said Cal won't "go pro" either, but I think Cal has way too many alumni who would storm the UC offices if UCLA was in and Cal was out.

Cal may be poised to become the pro team(s) of the East Bay, and take the "priced out of pro sports" fans from the whole Bay Area. This could create a significant amount of value for Cal teams and usher in a Golden Era of Cal sports.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News