ADVERTISEMENT

Full Wilcox Transcript: 8-16-17

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Let me know if you guys still like me doing these

Opening Statement

Hey thanks for coming. Let’s talk about that human C, how cool was that, what was the official number? Over seven thousand people, freshmen and newcomers, at one place, common goal, how cool was that?

Were your freshman out there with that?

We were actually in meetings (laughs), but we were on call if needed. If we needed the numbers to set the numbers man we were ready. So that was really cool.

What do you think of the fault line on the field

Yeah it’s unique. It’s us. I think it’s cool

What have you thought about Jeremiah Hawkins’ performance during the fall

Jeremiah’s doing a nice job, he’s learned a lot in a short period of time, but you see the qualities he has when he gets the ball in his hands. He’s real quick and explosive. He’s still got a ton of room to improve, but it’s been good to get him out here and competing

On Evan Weaver today

Evan’s had a good camp, I mean we didn’t have him in spring so everything he’s done, he keeps showing up and learning a lot. He’s a physical guy, he brings that to the team and that’s something need.

On moving Weaver around on defense

Any way to make our team better

On defensive comfort in the blitzes

Yeah that’s just a part of what they do, they’ve done a nice job of picking it up. It’s a skill, no doubt about it, but there’s some guys that fit into that mode, so it’s been good.

What have you thought of McIlwain, he made some plays today?

Yeah he’s doing a good job, obviously he brings that dual-threat aspect to it, and it’s nice to have him out here and gives a different dynamic to defend.

Timeline for McIlwain Eligibility

He’s not eligible right now

On the QB Situation

"We're not ready to name a starter right now, when that time comes we will. Really everything is on the table at that position. It doesn't infect our team in a negative way, I know it's a real popular discussion right now, I understand why, but our team's practicing really hard and whoever's in there, on the offense those guys rally around whoever's taking the snap. So when that time comes, we'll name him, but we're just not at that point."

On shuffling around the offensive line, is that just letting Greatwood mix and match?

Yeah, again, trying to find the best combination of people and in a perfect world you go through with five guys and they all stay healthy, but not a perfect world, so we’re preparing to be able to play guys at more than one position, and find the best combination of people that we can.

How’s the level of communication on defense grown throughout camp

It gets better and better. It’s something we stress and talk about daily, hand signals, obviously the verbal communication but also hand signals, so we grade that on tape. Every play that we’re in, and you’ve got to see the hand signal communication, that way we know they know, so that’s just something we’re constantly on them about, and it becomes second nature for them, so it’s gotten better.

On Zion Echols

Absolutely, he’s a different type of back than Vic or Tre or Pat or any of those guys, you’ve got a different skillset, so just finding the best way to utilize what he does best.

How’s the overall attitude been?

It’s been good, usually at this time in traditional camps after you’ve been two weeks now you’re two weeks to the game. So now it’s a little bit different, spread it out over one more week and we try to be mindful of how we’re practicing, approaching it like a game week again today, it was a Wednesday practice, physical practice, got after it, hit some situations with the 3rd down and some red zone, and then tomorrow we’ll bring them back down, but I think the key is to maintain that focus. We talk about that all the time, as you’ve got to bring that focus to practice, because if not you’re just out here exercising. That’s the difference, so we’ve got to bring the focus so we’re gaining something from each day.

On whether the offense has won more of the competitions?

Ah, it’s been pretty close, so we try to make it competitive in different ways. Sometimes it’s, the other day it was third and 3, a winner and a loser, one day it was a red zone play, one day it’s a kick, one day it’s the guys catching punts. So it’s just competing, that’s just gotta be part of our DNA, everything we do we want to compete.

Just a combination of offense, defense, special teams for those?

Yeah maybe if I catch you guys out here we’ll make you compete against each other

On Siu

Doing a really good job, keeping in mind a month and a half ago, or a couple months ago, he was on a different continent. He’s very smart, he’s learning the game, and he’s a big body and he’s athletic. He’s got a ton of room to grow but I think he really likes it and it’s important to him. He’s a great kid and we’re glad to have him. Again I think that each time he does something, and there’s a lot of corrections going on, but he’s a big guy and he can move. There’s just not that many of those people out there and he was in a different country two months ago, and didn’t have some of the same access to training and stuff that other people have, but you wouldn’t know it.

Is it a case of him being ahead of everyone over in Japan and coming here where’s on the outside looking in?

They had good coaching and all that, but it’s not the same exposure, it’s not the same intensive recruiting process, not a ton of recruits that come out of Japan.

In terms of exposure, like there are guys that’ll expose your weaknesses?

Oh no I’m just saying it’s not a traditional recruiting process, but he fits right in, there’s no doubt about it and we’re glad to have him. It’s a cool story.

Is Poutasi getting any reps?

No, not right now, we’re expecting him back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News