ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball full time free agency

No.8

Sturdiest Golden Bear
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Now that we have unrestricted free transfers 100% of the time (full time free agency), how will college basketball maintain competitive balance?

This is my only concern about the new transfer and NIL rule changes. I think it's good that players can transfer and I think it's even better they can make money on NIL.

The NBA understands competitive balance is important for the sport. How does the NBA try to maintain some semblance of competitive balance? At least 3 ways:

#1 salary cap

#2 priority draft (lower performing teams get earlier draft picks, which they can use to either sign higher rated impact rookies, or trade the pick for money they can use for #1)

#3 player contracts - NBA players are only 'free agents' based on their contract terms. They are NOT free agents most of their years with a team - this also allows teams a certain level of stability and ability to plan, and develop players for the future. With full time college free agency, a team (for example) could find out in July that both their PGs are gone

Also, in the NBA, when a player is a free agent, it goes both ways... the team does not have to keep the player. In college, the players are free agents 100% of the time, but have to commit to the player for 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News