ADVERTISEMENT

Cal hoops recruiting breakdown: October

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
I'm getting to this later than I wanted, but here we go. I'll respond to each of the questions asked in the thread.

"Can we get Ben's predictions on the current hoops class makeup when all is said and done?"-petalumabear

I expect Marsalis Roberson to commit on Thursday, so that will make him the first get of the 2021 class. As for how it will round out, DaRon Holmes, Jr. remains a possibility given the kind words he has said about Cal, who made his top four along with Arizona, Marquette, and Dayton. Arizona remains the front runner given that he's from there and he's taken multiple visits. So, I don't think he'll choose Cal, but he definitely remains a possibility. Assuming he goes to Arizona and Bryce Hopkins, another theoretical possibility, goes elsewhere (likely Kentucky), then it gets a bit more tough to predict.

There are three slots projected to be open, but there could be four if someone transfers out. So, my guess would be Marsalis Roberson, plus one other freshman, plus a grad transfer. And then if an additional spot opens up, then Cal will likely look to add one more grad transfer or find an undergraduate transfer to fill that spot.

"When will we get some MBB news that's not depressing?" -djsit

Hopefully Thursday if Marsalis Roberson commits as expected. Everything I'm hearing points to him being a Cal Bear. Once source has told me it's happening for sure. So, do expect some good news on Thursday.

"The woman's team has experienced a massive turnover as their most experienced veteran players have left due to graduation and post graduate transfer.

Cal is going to feature a roster stacked and dependent on 6 incoming freshman and 4 sophomores with only 1 year of experience.

What is your preseason lineup and backup? Is the talent sufficient to overcome this lack of experience? Can they avoid embarrassment and an overall losing record?"
-vineyardview

I expect Leilani McIntosh and Jazlen Green to start in the backcourt, Dalayah Daniels and Evelien Lutje Schipholt to start in the front court and then that fifth spot is gonna be interesting to see who gets that. Either Ugonne Michelle Onyiah or Fatou Samb, both who are listed as forwards. I expect Cailyn Crocker to get a lot of minutes off the bench as a guard and I also think Sela Heide will get a good run as well. So, those are your eight core players. Freshman guards Ornela Muca and Alma Elsnitz should provide some relief as well. And then having a veteran pair of walk-ons in junior Sierra Richey and senior Archer Olson isn't a bad way to round out the roster.

So, I do think that while there are a lot of new pieces, the new pieces they have added are really good. Tons of depth in the front court and a pretty sound backcourt as well. This Cal team should be able to rebound well, defend the post, push the ball in transition, and score from the perimeter. Tons to like.

They'll definitely avoid embarrassment. I think they'll have a really good season. That doesn't mean an NCAA Tournament appearance, but in a deep and talented Pac-12, I expect Cal women's basketball to hold their own and look like a team that should be poised to do real damage in March in the coming seasons.

"Chris Harriman was lauded for his overseas or international recruiting chops when introduced to California fans. For the past year his international recruiting activities have seemingly been nonexistent.

Arizona's results this past year prove there are many highly skilled qualified talents throughout Europe with college eligibility that want to play in the Pac-12. while preparing for a professional career.

What has Herriman been doing? Why hasn't he found our version of these "professionals in waiting" to play for California?

Have you heard or read any commentary that might suggest Cal might be a possible destination by any noteworthy International recruits."
-vineyardview

Harriman was on Taine Murray, a New Zealand guard who ended up choosing Virginia and scratching Cal off his final list. Harriman is definitely involved in the recruiting process, not just with guys who are overseas. But, you are right that as of now, his international recruiting has been quiet ever since Cal landed Lars Thiemann, Kuany Kuany, and Dimitrios Klonaras. Only thing I would say, is I think it's entirely possible that Harriman will in the near future help Cal land a talented overseas player. It might seemingly come out of nowhere, but I do remain hopeful that his efforts will yield some overseas fruit.

Definitely don't equate a lack of results with a lack of effort on his part. But at the moment, it is a little uncertain when that next international recruit will hit.

"Can you provide an overview of who's left on the board that Cal is pursuing? Holmes was kind of a surprise, to be honest. Roberson seems to be the only other near-term potential commit."-philbert0

I expect Marsalis Roberson to commit on Thursday as I said above. DaRon Holmes, Jr. remains a possibility, who has said nice things about Cal in his recent interview. Another possibility is Bryce Hopkins, another top 50 kid, who has Cal in his top 9. Kentucky is his likely landing spot, but he is stretching it out, so he remains a possibility.

They also offered Sam Alajiki, an Irish recruit, who is balling on the East Coast. Potential diamond in the rough kind of find.

There's a few others as well, but those are the main ones.

But you are right that the only certain get at the moment is Roberson. If Holmes and Hopkins do indeed go elsewhere, then the class could fill out with guys who haven't even been offered yet. That's very possible.

"Now that the basketball season have advanced to Nov 25th from January 1 2021 date and is fast approaching will Mark Fox find attractive Out of Conference game's prior to the Pac-12 conference games?

Can you explain how the covid testing protocols were interfering with setting up the ooc home and away schedule? Do they have a solution?"
-vineyardview

I think until they had COVID-19 testing protocols in place, it was really impossible to schedule any OOC games. But now that they do, a schedule should be released really soon. My guess is Cal will try to keep as many of their OOC games as possible and then try to find some local Bay Area teams to face. I do think Mark Fox and Cal will find a way to have a competitive non-conference schedule, even if they don't get to play all the games they were hoping to. Fox is doing a good job of keeping his guys ready and engaged, so I'm assuming that includes actively finding games to play and gearing up for the season in that fashion.

"Is Wyking still on our payroll due to a lack of opportunities to coach?" -Harky4

As far as I know, yes. My understanding is he is getting all of his money. He’s living the buyout life along with Ernie Kent. Not a bad life.

Reactions: philbert0
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News