ADVERTISEMENT

A Transition to Come

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Some of you may have heard, today (December 31st) is my last day with Rivals. As I’ve said on this board, I’ve been working on a master’s degree in accounting, and I am moving into the accounting field starting in January. I’m moving away from writing as a whole, and it comes at the right time for me.

First and foremost, I’d like to thank everyone here. I learned a lot on the job here, and I feel that I’ve grown tremendously as a person as I’ve done this job. Doing this job, I’ve gained a ton of communication skills, the ability to ask questions, stuff I wouldn’t have developed had I not been pushed by the members of this board. I would not have the opportunities that I currently have had I not done this job.

I feel I owe it to everyone here to be honest, and I’ll admit that I’ve been struggling with this job for the past handful of months. Some of that is Covid related. It’s hard to communicate expectations about a football team when you can’t go see practice. I’ve had a lot of people telling me about what they’ve seen, along with interviewing coaches, but there’s nothing quite like being there, being able to observe. I trust my observations, and when you can’t do that, it affects the quality of your work.

Another piece of it is anxiety. I’ve been dealing with anxiety for the past handful of years now. Doing this job, you have to always be at least a little bit on, which means you can never really turn off. The anxiety piece hasn’t helped as far as driving passion, and I’ve lost some of the passion for sports that I’ve had in past years because of that. That is a big reason why I’ve made this decision. My mental health needs to improve and I feel that I haven’t done as well here as I could have because of that. It was time for a change.

I’m looking forward to going back to what drew me into writing in the first place, which is being a fan. I’ve been around Cal football since I was seven weeks old, with my parents taking me to Cal’s win over Oregon State in October of 1992. I don’t really know another way of being other than around Cal athletics, and that isn’t going to change anytime soon. That said, it’ll be nice to get a break.

There will be a transition here shortly. I’ll let those coming in introduce themselves, but suffice it to say, I think they’ll do a good job with the site, especially on the recruiting side.

If you see me at a game, I’ll probably be at a few basketball games in the coming months, don’t be afraid to say hi. I hope everyone has their health and family to spend time with as we head into 2022. Go Bears and thank you for everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News