ADVERTISEMENT

A little more insight on MBB nutrition

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
I just got the green light from my source to share the e-mail that was sent out to donors regarding a need for improved nutrition for the men's basketball team. Also, the parent of a former player who is no longer at Cal, but was there during the Wyking Jones years and transferred out gave me insight into what the nutrition situation was like for their son while at Cal. Interesting information that I think you all would find interesting.

Below is the e-mail that was sent to donors:

"Getting right to it, Coach Mark Fox knows that the program must improve moving forward and the conditions this season made the rebuild a harder endeavor than it already was. Improved nutrition for the MBB team is a targeted area of need for Coach Fox as the lack of open cafeterias and training table meals this year has greatly impacted physical development within the roster. We are trying to secure more nutrition funding for this summer in an effort to provide the players a second summer meal. We typically just budget for one summer meal.

We are reaching out to 80 donors in a one-time targeted effort to secure increased funding for the MBB summer school meals. Please let me know if you are interested in supporting or would like to learn more. I will be happy to answer any questions."

Below is what the parent of the former Cal player told me:

"Coach Jones also asked donors for funds during the summer or early fall to renovate an area in the locker room for a nutrition/snack station. I think they got a refrigerator and enough funds to keep mostly breakfast items and snacks throughout the offseason and into the season. My son would go by there in the mornings to get breakfast and snacks to take with him for mid morning. He had a food card that was loaded with $ each day that could be used at certain restaurants around town for luck (usually after practice) and dinner.

Don't remember the amount of funds but was not really enough to cover 2 meals for a student athlete. I never understood why they didn't have some sort of cafeteria plan in addition to the restaurant card. He [Fox] has been aware of the food situation since he was hired as that was one of the areas of improvement that we discussed with him and he told us then he would take care of. The pregame meals provided were always great and sometimes there was enough for take home meals after the game."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News