ADVERTISEMENT

2019 season and 2020 recruiting

capnted

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2007
The 2018 season is not yet over as the Bears still have their bowl game vs TCU. But with 2019 recruiting mostly in the bag it is time to evaluate where they are as a program and what is next. The season was a mixed bag. Terrific defense but pitiful offense. Down the stretch the offense was inept. Heading into 2019 season they still have many questions and few answers. They may have a few more possible answers as they went the quick fix route and added several JC skill players and other transfers in an effort to boost the offense.

But how much will that group really change things? I am hopeful it is a big boost but really expect just a minor boost. The 3 transfer WRs are better than what they have but none are certain breakthrough stars. But they are more athletic and bigger than what is on hand. The JC RB has a chance to be pretty good. He is a versatile player that can help in both the run game and pass game. Modster the Qb is a nice addition. But is he really much different than Garbers? Probably not. But he is an improvement over what was on hand and has some experience. The OL and TE was not good a season ago and may not be in 2019 either. Castles at TE has a chance to be good, but is young. The OL a season ago was not good. The recruits they signed yesterday are good prospects but OL need time to develop. The returning players on the OL do not excite me. Will Craig and Mike Saffell have a shot to be good. The rest of the group is not particularly strong nor athletic. Jake Curhan looks like a player but has trouble with athletic defenders.

Then you have the offensive staff. What is there to say. Production was awful. Worse than 2017 which was down. Yet we hear they may return this staff in its entirety. I cannot imagine a worse decision frankly. Not one offensive staff member's unit has played with distinction in the 2 years they have been on staff. Toler just 1 season and that unit had its production slip as well. Besides Greatwood not a single offensive coach has anything in their resume that says keep me. Baldwin was a terrific offensive coach at EWU. Has not translated. The offense is plodding, unimaginative and has regressed year over year. Nick Edwards coached 2 NFL guys at EWU (Kupp and Kendrick Bourne) but this group can barely get off the LOS. Burl Toler has bounced around and is coaching a position he did not play, his Cal alum status and being a truly nice guy are great things, but can Cal afford the on the job training. Tui has nothing in his background or his current time at Cal that screams QB guru and he has been the recruiting coordinator for back to back average recruiting classes.

This group apparently may be kept and will be counted on to prepare the players and recruit for the program when there is very little evidence they are any good at either role. If you cannot recruit well then you damn well better be able to coach the players. I want to see the evidence. This staff literally struck out in NorCal. Who was the primary recruiter for the area? Burl Toler. Oh but he is a Cal guy we have to keep him. No we do not and should not. Same with Edwards, Tui and Baldwin. All should be gone on Dec 27. Cal can do better. But likely only a change or 2 will be made if any at all. Personally I would not want this group to be the guys out trying to recruit for 2020 class. Not after the results of last 2 seasons and the fiasco of this recruiting class and all the late JC adds just to keep the offense afloat.

The defense looks good. Top tier in the conference good. The offense is another story altogether. Awful. The Conferences worst, and not close really. JW just got a nice raise and extension. Time to earn your money JW and sweep out the offensive staff and go find some coaches that can produce on the field and in recruiting. Or at least in one of those areas. What we have now is simply unacceptable. Time to earn it. I am sure he is familiar with that phrase. Baldwin and Edwards have to go. Tui and Toler are maybes. Greatwood a keeper. His resume at Oregon shows me he can get the job done and frankly that group has more guys that should develop and by 2020 might be pretty good.

This is IMO a very important point in JW's tenure. Progress has been made in many areas. But if you cannot score it is difficult to win. Does he really believe in those coaches to coach and recruit that side of the ball to better success? He has more $$$ to work with in regards to staff. He needs to spend it wisely. JW has earned the trust of many of the donors and administration. But he cannot afford another season with an offense this bad. I get loyalty and all that. But the job is to win. You need to do what will help the program win. Will be interesting to watch. The assistant coaching carousel really heats up after the bowls. Time to be bold JW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.