ADVERTISEMENT

Visitors for Colorado, Recruiting Notes

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Commit
Brown has been to every game so far this season, he's a solid commit for the group despite getting a couple new offers from teams hoping to poach him.
Offers
Connor was scheduled to come a few weeks ago, but that trip got postponed. He's set to come up for a rainy weekend instead
Non-Offered, but Intriguing
Just committed to San Diego State, Mahasin has been up to Cal for every game this year. He's headed down to the Aztecs as a wide receiver, as Cal has been looking at taller wideouts. Honestly, if Mahasin would switch to RB, I think his skillset would be a solid fit there.
RB/ILB from Heyward who Oregon State has offered. Really good two way guy locally at Hayward
Nasty runner from Jesuit, plays both ways. Cal has him listed as an RB, recruiting sites have him as a DB. Another talented two way guy
Notes
It has been quiet on the recruiting front these past couple of weeks on my end, Cal hasn't really offered anyone publicly aside from a couple 2023 guys and there have been other pressing concerns, like trying to win a football game. They're obviously in regular contact with their 2022 commits, but that isn't the piece I wanted to go over now.

Since Cal has lost Ott, Martin, and Kaleb Johnson, there has been some thought on where they go next for guys in the class. Here's my thought process:
QB
Cal probably isn't going to get Devin Brown, who has gotten Ohio State and Texas offers recently. For a 2022 QB, Cal's going to have to flip someone. I have heard they have made an offer that hasn't been announced by the player, so we'll see how that goes. Until something changes on that front, there's the transfer portal.

I know some have been speculating on Garbers staying another year. I don't think it happens, as Chase has already graduated, and while he could ostensibly stay with the Covid year, there's the portal piece you have to consider moving forward. The portal has made it easy for player movement, especially at QB, and if you think Johnson or Millner has a chance to be something with more development time (I think Millner should be the next man up), then you don't allienate them. That said, there are other QBs set to be available this offseason. For example, Ohio State will have some transfers out with them bringing in Quinn Ewers early. Texas will likely have a transfer. Spencer Rattler, if he chooses to stay in school for another year, will likely look for a new home (and Cal happens to have a solid relationship with his trainer, Mike Giovando, one he shares with Millner), though any thought of Rattler coming to Cal should be taken as speculation at this point.

The point I'm using too many words to make is that there will be guys in the portal, at a lot of positions. Teams are seeing the success that the likes of Michigan State and UCLA are having with portal players, and even with Cal's academic standards, if UCLA is finding a way to make it work, Cal is going to have to make it work.

RB

Same sort of thing goes for the running back position for the Bears. Cal hasn't offered anybody new, under the radar or otherwise. They looked through the portal a bit in the spring, but didn't really find a great fit for them. That's going to have to change if they don't either land someone or flip someone late. Lot of RBs in the portal though, and Cal's RB group as a whole is young and getting carries.

TE

I've mentioned Jack Endries from Monte Vista before, and there's a chance Cal offers him, which is an offer I'd like to see them make. Endries is a darn good receiving tight end right now, a bit similar to Tonges. There's also Brodie Tagaloa, who still has some work to do as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News