ADVERTISEMENT

Two Days Until NSD Notes

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Tried to write something a bit more formal this morning, it made no sense and was terrible, so I'm going to be a bit more candid here. The news of Wilcox turning down the Oregon job helps from a stability standpoint. Stability means something, in a less and less stable college football world (both on coach and player sides). It has been a bit of a positive feedback loop over the last decade with regard to the hire and fire process, and having stability in a year where it is needed certainly helps, or hopefully does. Cal doesn't get Ashton Hayes without having some security among their coaching staff. It is why, at the moment, I think they keep Jackson Brown and Damonic Williams, who went on OVs elsewhere. Cal's going to be pretty young at a number of spots next year, something that a plethora of portal adds can help with.

QB
Jack Plummer or Adrian Martinez
Not particularly looking for a high school QB right now, and as we're seeing with guys like Kedon Slovis entering the portal, there will be guys after NSD to try and pick up at a number of different positions. Right now, these two have visited and can add veteran experience to a two schollie QB room. Our Kansas State guys feel relatively confident about Martinez to K-State, which is why I've felt more confident about Plummer on here. Plenty of time for a surprise.
RB
Hayes - I wasn't expecting Hayes' news to leak out so soon, but he's a guy who adds some breakaway speed to the room, a longstanding need for the Bears. Rushed for over 358 yards against fellow commit Sioape Vatikani's Bishop Manogue team early in the year (rushed for 132 in their 5A title rematch)
Jaydn Ott - What's old is new again, as the Bears are looking to bring Ott back into the fold. He's visited OSU, Colorado, and BYU recently, and it's possible the Bears bring him back into the fold.
WR
Jaiven Plummer and Mason Starling - Plummer has long been committed, Starling just committed (with an 81 inch wingspan, which makes him a bit of a freak among wideouts)
TE
No real HS names here yet, maybe one to target in February, along with whatever other portal names come out
OL
Nick Morrow is a tackle for the Bears now, he's put on a fair amount of bulk as a senior. Brown still has to be worked on a bit, but he's always been one to enjoy the recruiting process. Vatikani is solid
Trent Ramsey appears to be a tossup between Cal and Mississippi State.
DL
Nate Burrell has been very solid since his commitment. Williams has been off and on, taking a last minute visit to TCU after Sonny offered. I don't see the flip happening, especially whenn Browning has built as close of a relationship as he has
OLB
Thomas and Tuitele are solid. Still waiting on if Latu gets cleared
ILB
No targets here, room is very young at this point
DB
Sidney and Earby are solid, no changes here

Might be some other portal guys to look out for in the future, but it'll be interesting to see what changes by Wednesday

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News