ADVERTISEMENT

the cupboard is bare

capnted

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2007
It is quite clear that beyond the starting 11 on offense there is very little to offer on offense. Glover was horrible. Yet he has pushed past Johnson (out today COVID) and Millner has never been in contention.

The 2 replacements at LT and LG are not starting caliber P5 players. Swinney may be. Too early to know. Baker may be ok with time. Sturdivant earned his first snaps. He had a drop on one of the few well thrown balls by Glover.

But the big takeaway for me is QB. How in the hell does Cal have to settle for that level of play at backup QB in year 5 of the JW regime? I am quite sure Glover is a great guy, A real OKG. But that was really hard to watch. This reminded me of that awful Utah game 2 years back. Brasch had to start. It was horrendous. But Utah was a championship level team playing at home in front of a rabid home crowd. This was 0-8 Arizona playing in front of family and friends. 120 yds of offense. That is really hard to do. Less than 4 yds per pass attempt.

I know guys were missing. I did not expect 400yds and 40 points. But 3 points and 120 yds. That is beyond dismal. I was hopeful they could muster at least a little offense. Not to be. Glover BTW had actually played in real games before. Sure did not look like it. I know Garbers get the most snaps in practice, but it looked like Glover was lost at times. Begs the question. What do they actually do to develop a QB.

This entire Covid debacle made this game a tough one. But the staff has once again been exposed. Poor recruiting and poor development of the most important position on the team.

Just an aside. But Jedd Fisch has now coached 11 games as a HC. 9 this season and 2 a few years back as interim HC at UCLA. He has 2 wins. 2-0 vs Cal 0-9 against everybody else.

Cal needs a reboot. Justin Wilcox is not the answer at Head Coach. Today was always going to be difficult. But never should have been this poor. They win today with just below average QB play. What they got was absolutely dreadful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News