ADVERTISEMENT

So-called Negabear’s Thoughts on the Season

hessebear

Missy Franklin's Trophy Husband
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2006
I’ve been thinking a lot about this season and after doing some research and soul searching, I’ve come to the prognostication conclusion that we are going 9-3 (and I like us in the resultant bowl game depending on the match up of course - yes I’m saying a 10-win season is in the cards). You may be asking how a group-labeled negabear could be this optimistic, especially given our supposedly difficult schedule, but I really think this will happen. Why?

• Team believes in the coaching. Coaching believes in the team. It sounds trite, but I see a lot of unity here, which can be very important. When times get tight, believing in yourselves can be critical.
  • I think the defense will be the best in the Pac12 and top twenty in the nation. In particular, I think they will again be a big-play defense, which is critical in today’s game IMO. I actually think at long last we will have a pass rush, which makes us truly scary. I don’t expect anyone to blow us out (so we will at least be in every game) and many are going to struggle to do anything, especially pass-happy teams. Our secondary is the best I’ve seen since being a Cal fan (30+ years) and I absolutely love that they want to and can tackle on runs. The sky is the limit.
  • I think the offense will be better, perhaps substantially so. We have more talent and diversity and I think Garbers is going to be light years better (granted his starting spot was low). The defense also takes the pressure off, which will give us a chance to shine, and will produce a lot of short fields, which will help a lot. I think our WRs and RBs are better and the line will be superior as well.
  • Quietly, I think we have a good special teams unit with very good kicking, lots of athletes for the coverage teams, and I’m hopeful we can get better returns this year.
  • I think Wilcox is in a good place and has shown he is a good in-game coach. He and his staff made good adjustments last year in several games, which bodes well. I’m hopeful that offensive game planning will be more aggressive and that defensive game planning will be gonzo aggressive. This is the year to excel as both systems have been in place for a while now; in football, such familiarity does not breed contempt, rather it tends to breed competence.
  • I think some teams we play are overrated. I also think that defense travels better, so our tough road games are more winnable with our wrecking crew. I will tell you this: no one will want to play us.
  • Frankly, I just think it’s our turn to have some luck and be the surprise team. We are due as last year a couple of bad breaks kept us from winning a couple more. I think things go our way this year. I’m not sure why, I just do. It’s time.

So there it is people, have at it. Yes, I know all of the potential issues and downsides - I am a negabear after all - but I just have a strange feeling about this team.

I hope I’m right. And I’ll bet you do, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News