ADVERTISEMENT

RB coach

capnted

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2007
Now that Musgrave and McClure are on board JW now turns his attention to the RB coach. The OC and OL coach were more important hires. There have been a lot of names thrown around. The 2 new hires on board should spark some interest from some established guys. Cal is headed in the right direction and may be able to pluck somebody that they previously could not have.

Ron Gould is of course a name that everybody knows. He would be a great fit, but would he come back? Not sure and he may not fit in the budget either. I would take a stab at Deshaun Foster from UCLA. He may not wish to leave his alma mater, but Cal just might be able to provide him a better coaching culture and be better for his career. And he is already recruiting in a similar pool of athletes.

Michael Pitre the OSU RB coach is another name of interest. OSU is not in the same academic realm as Cal and may take him a year to get acclimated to recruiting in a different pool, but is an interesting guy. Alonzo Carter is a local guy with a very intriguing resume. Has strong roots in the area, but Cal has just hired a guy to recruit this area. As much as local recruiting is high on many folks wish list, the reality is that there are more Cal profile prospects in SoCal and I agree with Marc and others that would be my preferred area for this next coach.

The coaches convention starts today. If JW has not already found his candidates he may encounter some folks that find Cal enticing. I also will be interested in seeing if Tim DeRuyter pops up on any other programs radar as a DC. There are some openings and may be more after the Febraury LOI date. If TDR were to leave (not hoping for that) it would free up some salary and possibly allow JW to swing a little harder for an established RB coach with the recruiting ties and fit he desires for this staff.

Reactions: Ztdavis91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News