ADVERTISEMENT

Personal News: I'm transitioning to CardinalSportsReport.com

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Hey everyone! I have an important announcement to make: I am taking over as the new publisher of CardinalSportsReport.com, Rivals’ Stanford affiliate site. September 1st is the targeted date for when I officially take over.

Between now and September 1st, I’ll be shifting my attention towards Stanford (I’ll be covering Stanford football practice tomorrow), operating as publisher-in-transition. Part of why I cooked up those pieces on Sam Alajiki, Marsalis Roberson, and Obinna Anyanwu is I wanted to make sure I created some hoops content for you all in my last month at this site.

In case you are wondering why I’m making this decision, there are a few reasons:

#1. When current Stanford publisher Jacob Rayburn decided he was leaving, he said I was the first person that came to mind to replace him. He told me he had tremendous confidence in my abilities to run the site and I took that vote of confidence to heart.

#2. Stanford is a lot closer to my house: I live in Mountain View, which is a city that borders Palo Alto. It’s approximately a 20-minute drive from my house to the Stanford campus. I usually took BART to Berkeley to avoid the traffic, but even with that, it typically is a 2-hour trip to Berkeley one way from where I live.

#3. I have Stanford connections: For the last several years, I’ve been very active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints congregation that meets at Stanford. That has given me a chance to know the school well and also get to know some of their athletes. Primarily football players. So, while this is a new frontier for me, it’s a frontier that I also feel quite familiar with at the same time.

#4. This is a step up for me in terms of pay and responsibility. I’ll be getting paid more to run the Stanford site as publisher and I’m also excited about the chance to run the site in full. While basketball is my first love, I also like football. I played outside linebacker for two years in high school and I’m looking forward to the chance to reconnect with my football roots.

I want to thank @Marc Tausend for bringing me on board 6 years ago! I would not have this opportunity without him having faith in my abilities. When he asked me if I wanted to come on board as the new Cal basketball reporter for the site, I was beyond thrilled. It was a dream come true! The chance to cover Jaylen Brown, Ivan Rabb, Tyrone Wallace, Jabari Bird, and Matt Bradley was awesome. I was always proud to say that I covered Cal basketball for Rivals.com. Marc also did a good job of training me for this position and breaking me into the world of recruiting. He was and still is a great mentor!

I also want to thank @Trace Travers for keeping me on board when he took over. He has been a tremendous help to me as I’ve covered Cal hoops and set a good example of what a good publisher should be. I first got to know Trace a bit when he was still at Golden Blogs and I was in my first year at Cal Rivals. I was very excited to learn that I’d get the chance to work with him and he has truly been a major help to me as I’ve grown as a journalist.

Lastly, I do want to thank all of you for making this a fun place to discuss Cal sports! Your lively opinions and passion for Cal sports is awesome! It is YOU, the subscribers, that makes this site what it is. Without your dedication to Cal sports, I wouldn’t be doing this in the first place. Much love to all of you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News