ADVERTISEMENT

OV tidbits that relate to Cal

Marc Tausend

Lazy and Disrespectful
Dec 14, 2010
Cal didn't host any official visits this weekend, but there were several trips that were taken elsewhere that do have a bearing on Cal's 2016 class.

Paco Perez- OL (Cal commit)
Most should be aware that Perez is being heavily courted by UCLA. He took his official visit to Westwood this weekend, after it was originally scheduled two weeks from now. He had a very good time.
But he didn't flip. And that's pretty much the best you can hope for with a commit who takes visits elsewhere. He'll still visit Cal this weekend, so the staff is in the enviable position of closing on a guy that they need to keep. Additionally, he'll have his buddy Daniel Juarez and all the other commits on him in Berkeley this weekend. Brew the coffee.

Nate Herbig- OL

After decommitting three weeks ago, Herbig took an OV to Stanford and found out he was admitted.
Welp, that sucks. But as of now, Herbig is not going to just re-commit tothe Cardinal. He says he'll take his planned visits to Cal (this weekend) and Washington (next weekend), then decide on Signing Day.
Cal has the Drew Kobayashi card to play here (teammate and good buddy. Maybe future roomate?), as well as Hawaiians Kanawai Noa and Semisi Uluave to pitch Herbig.
But this recruitment just got a whole lot tougher. And Herbig may change his mind at any time and shut things down. Sad trombone.

Cameron Goode- LB (Cal commit)

Goode took a visit to Vanderbilt. He's scheduled to visit Cal next weekend. No info yet on how the trip to Nashville went, but I'll revert once I hear more.
EDIT: Sources on the Vandy side tell me their staff feels like the visit went very well and that they currently lead for Goode. Again, doesn't sound like he flipped. Cal is once again in the enviable position of getting the last visit and a chance to seal him up.
The lack of chatter is either good...or bad. He's scheduled to be at Cal next weekend. It'll be his first trip to campus. Given the dearth of commits at this spot and Goode's promise as a prospect, gotta hold onto him.

Zion Echols- RB (former Cal commit)
Echols visited Wazzu this weekend and will visit Berkeley this coming one. I have heard nothing that has me concerned or ready to back off my claim that I expect Echols to rejoin Cal's class.

Victor Viramontes- QB/weapon of destruction
Viramontes visited Utah this weekend and no info is out about his experience in SLC yet. But I don't believe Utah will be a factor for him as they are recruiting him as a linebacker. Still think Viramontes ends up with Cal too. He visits on 1/29.

AJ Brown- WR
Brown visited Bama this past weekend. Pretty good timing for the Tide to host recruits, less than a week after winning a natty. Must be nice.
I think Bama leads for Brown. Cal gets their shot this weekend, and buddy Jordan Duncan will host. AJ has made it clear he won't be talking to the media, but I've felt Bama was the team to beat for a while. A signing day announcement is expected.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey- WR/ATH
Humphrey took an official visit to Texas this weekend. He's maintained his top 2 is Cal and Texas, but I don't think Cal has room for him and has told LJ as much.
Word is he silently committed to the Longhorns on Friday. Makes sense, as he plans to announce on 1/30. Gotta make it still seem like a contest I guess. Not sure if his scheduled Cal visit will still happen.

As I get more info, I'll add it. Thought it would be helpful to make one thread for everyone though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News