ADVERTISEMENT

Ott comparisons & Cal's history of running backs

freshfunk

Rankings don't matter
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2014
After Ott's breakout game, I found myself thinking back to history of Cal running backs and pondering over who he reminds me of. I find myself thinking of Khalfani Muhammad because he has that smaller stature with speedy breakout speed and you can tell he runs track -- but slightly bigger and better ability to make players miss tackles. But obviously every player is his own. I think Ott's got pretty good hands, has some pretty good skills running between tackles, and can make players miss better than most cal running backs I can remember.

Someone made a comment about Jahvid, one of the most stories running backs in Cal history. While I don't quite see that yet -- Jahvid just had this 5th gear where he'd confidently pull away from everyone -- that moment when he run down the middle of the field, made the opposing defense look like he parted the seas and got the TD triggered memories of Jahvid.

Furthermore, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, where did this OL come from? Should Musgrave lean into building an identity around our run game? Many have been calling for more of the run but the production of the running game against Arizona far surpasses anything we've seen thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News