ADVERTISEMENT

Latest update on the Missouri and Illinois jobs and where Cuonzo Martin fits in the picture

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Ok guys, I have dug up some more information about the Cuonzo Martin coaching job rumors. At the moment, Missouri and Illinois appear to be the two schools most at play. Below is information about both programs, who they're prioritizing, the skinny on Cuonzo's contract buyout, etc.

Missouri: People close to the AD at Missouri have recommended Cuonzo Martin for the job. I know who the people are, but I will shield their identity. I'll just say this, they are high ranking people in the basketball industry. Another person close to the situation says that the AD at Missouri really likes Cuonzo as well. So, it sounds like Missouri really does see Cuonzo Martin as a viable candidate.

As far as how much Missouri is willing to pay, I've heard something in the range 7 years, $3M per, though it depends on who they hire.

With that being said, everything I'm hearing seems to point to Tom Crean being the top choice for Missouri at this time. A person close to the situation tells me that IF Crean to Missouri happens, he expects it to happen by the middle of next week. If it's a week out (next weekend) and Crean hasn't been hired by Missouri, then things could get interesting. It sounds like if Crean doesn't go to Missouri, Cuonzo Martin suddenly becomes a top candidate.

Illinois: I have now heard from multiple sources now that if offered the job, Cuonzo Martin would likely take it. That part seems to be well established. However, Martin is not the top choice for the Illinois job at this time. Gregg Marshall at Wichita State is the top choice for Illinois, but I'm hearing if Missouri hires Crean, Marshall would likely aim for Indiana.

The bottom line with Illinois is that IF Illinois offers Cuonzo Martin the job, oddsmakers say he takes it. But, the big question with Illinois is will they offer him the job or not. It sounds like Marshall is their top choice and that they have a few others they would consider as well.

Indiana: Indiana opens up if Tom Crean gets canned, obviously. I've heard nothing about Cuonzo Martin being linked to the Indiana job, but where Indiana comes into play is that could affect the coaching pools that Illinois and Missouri could draw from. Doesn't seem to really affect Missouri since they want Tom Crean.

However, it could affect things with Illinois since Gregg Marshall is the guy they want. If Gregg Marshall chooses to leave Wichita State for Indiana, that bumps Cuonzo Martin up the list for the Illinois job, but it doesn't necessarily sound like Cuonzo Martin is the #2 choice for Illinois if they can't get Marshall. He just becomes another possible candidate for them to choose from.

My take:

I want to make it clear that at this time, I do not see Cuonzo Martin leaving Cal. I have a hard to time seeing him leave when he's finally getting the recruits he wants and is finally going to have a team of all his recruits (Rooks coming back next year).

But, what is interesting is this general consensus that he would take the Illinois job. It sounds like Illinois is the job he'd really go after and take if offered. Missouri on the other hand, it sounds like they'd have to wine him and dine him a little bit more and sell it to him, but if they are willing to really show him the money, he might leave. He has roots in St. Louis and recruits heavily out of that area, so he would definitely entertain the idea it sounds like.

It's also important to remember that last year, he was linked to the Georgia Tech job. Connor Letourneau was very adamant that Cuonzo was looking at the Georgia Tech job, so it isn't like he hasn't been linked to other jobs before.

A lot of people seem to think that Cuonzo Martin is a guy who is willing to leave Cal if given the right opportunity, but it's hard to know how much of that is coming from Cuonzo himself and how much of that is just people assuming he'd want out.

What Cuonzo Martin has said:

"Same thing as last year [when these rumors came up.] I work for Cal. My job is to do my job. Anything other than that I don't consume myself with it."

Interpret that however you'd like. I personally interpret that as him saying he's happy with where he is and doesn't look to change schools. It's important to understand that this does not refute anything said above. When the general consensus from multiple people within the basketball industry is that he'd take the Illinois job, I take that very seriously. Still, it's important to note what Martin has said on record about the subject.

As sort of a bonus, reports came out last year that strongly refuted the Georgia Tech reports, likely coming from Cuonzo Martin's camp.

Cuonzo Martin's contract (buyout) with Cal:

The real important part of Cuonzo Martin's contract is his buyout, or what he'd have to pay to take another job without being fired.

The exact figures are as follows: If Martin chooses to leave Cal before April 14, 2017, he owes Cal $1.1M. That falls to $1M if he leaves between April 15, 2017 and April 14, 2018. If Martin leaves between April 15, 2018 and April 2019, he would owe Cal $750K.

From what I'm hearing, the buyout wouldn't be that big of a factor. It's actually pretty low relative to other buyouts. So, if some program really wants Cuonzo, that won't deter them from my understanding. Schools know he has that buyout, so the fact that his name is popping up indicates to me that the buyout wouldn't be that big of a factor.

The bottom line:

Cuonzo Martin isn't going anywhere right now. He's under contract for Cal and still has the postseason to look forward to whether it's the NCAA Tournament or the NIT. He's been very adamant that he's happy at Cal and wants to continue to build a program here at Cal. I think we need to respect his on the record comments and take him at his word that his focus is on Cal.

That being said, it sounds like if Illinois offers him the job, odds are very good he takes the job based on everything I've heard. Missouri, not as likely, but it does sound like if the can't get Tom Crean, they'd really go after Cuonzo Martin and make him a strong pitch. It appears as though Cuonzo Martin is higher up on the list for Missouri, but he is also a possible candidate for Illinois.

If Cuonzo Martin really believes that he has better odds at building a program at Missouri and landing the types of kids he wants, then he very well may take the Missouri job if Illinois doesn't come knocking. Do keep in mind he's had several recruits not get past admissions at Cal (Hickman, Dillard, Jolly, Cornish, etc.) That could be a motivation for him to go elsewhere.

As for the contract buyout, that doesn't appear to be that big of a deterrent. $1.1M isn't that big of a buyout and it drops to $1M later in April. It sounds like if Missouri or Illinois really want Cuonzo Martin, the buyout wouldn't deter them at all. As for Cuonzo, it sounds like he'd have no issue with the buyout either if Illinois comes knocking and it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker if he really believed Missouri was the place for him.

Lastly, I want to make it clear that I am not trying to create the vibe that Cuonzo Martin is looking to leave Cal and I'm also not trying to create the vibe that there is no chance he'd leave. Both remain possibilities and a lot of it ultimately seems to boil down to what happens with other coaching candidates and where Cuonzo ranks on the pecking order of Missouri and Illinois.

Stay tuned for more developments in the coming weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News