ADVERTISEMENT

Cal will make room for Marcus Lee if he wants to come

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Per source, if Marcus Lee wants to come to Cal, they'll find a way to make him fit. That is nothing to worry about. Brandon Chauca is the guy most likely to be on the outs. From what I was told, it sounds as though things are being made as clearly as possible to Brandon that he won't see any minutes on the floor next year and that there really isn't any use for him as a scholarship player.

So, bottom line is if Cal wants Marcus Lee, they'll find a way to bring him on board. If Marcus Lee goes elsewhere and Cal doesn't go after anyone else, then Brandon Chauca will stay and ride the pine. Brandon Chauca may stay either way, but his scholarship would be the one to go. That seems to be what's going on and the best that I can tell you at this point.

Plus, FWIW, I've been under the impression that odds are good Brandon Chauca doesn't return to the team next year. When I asked Dontae Coleman his thoughts on running with the point guards, he told me Brandon Chauca wasn't even at the practice. Not that that means anything, but it could.

Anyways, Chauca's situation seems to be very similar to that of Kahlil Johnson, who left the team to pursue his studies at Cal. Brandon Chauca is the 5th string point guard on the roster at the moment and it doesn't appear as though he can redshirt since, as some of you remember, Cal tried to redshirt him, but were told that the only way they could redshirt him was if he used up a medical redshirt.

Medical redshirts aren't something you can fake. It's really challenging to be a player on medical redshirt because there are certain exercises that you can and cannot do, limited amounts of participation in practice, etc. It's a whole ordeal and rather complicated. With all of this being the case, there is utterly no reason for Brandon Chauca to be on this team. That's just how it is. The only question is whether or not he is willing to face the music and see the writing on the wall. If he is, then things will workout smoothly. If he isn't, Cal will still get what they want, but it'll be a bit more bumpy.

Note: Marc said earlier on a separate thread that Cal will find a way to make it work, so I don't mean to come off as though I'm the first person to say this on here.

One more note: If Cal is being reported as a front runner to land Marcus Lee, that in and of itself should indicate that they'll find a way to make it work.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News