ADVERTISEMENT

As requested...

Nam Le

not a football guy | dreamkiller le
Apr 21, 2015
Couldn't really justify running this in a column, but @mike79 asked earlier this week:
1 - which previous Cal guys besides the ones we know about hit your evaluations perfectly?
2 - which previous Cal guys did you miss on or become way better than you expected?

So, the benefit of having covered recruiting for 7+ years now is that I usually have some Tweets or columns to fall back on. I won't ever disparage anyone currently with the program since that would be somewhat unbecoming and kind of inappropriate to do, but here's a fun walk down memory lane.

Remember: My opinions are mostly formed based on what they showed on the HS film, which is all I had at the time, and some of these misses are development jobs.

There are a few others that I couldn’t add to these lists because I couldn’t find the evidence to support my thought so I might have been revising or misremembering in retrospect. (I remember having serious questions about the flexibility/mobility of Ude and Semisi Uluave, for example, but I can't find anything I wrote that says that.)

Without further ado:

Five Guys From the Past Who Hit My Evaluations Perfectly (Good and Bad) Not Named Cam Goode or Devante Downs

Kanawai Noa, who I thought would become Bryce Treggs.
Erik Brown, who I never loved
Takkarist McKinley, who I loved from the start but never made it to Berkeley
Johnny Ragin, who was the original Devante Downs when healthy. Ended up with a somewhat productive career at Oregon, when healthy.
Tre Watson, who I always loved a bit more than Vic.
Logan Gamble, who was extremely raw and played against bad competition, I thought was maybe a project at best (I got some light flack from an unnamed staff member for being low on him)

Five Guys From the Past Who I Missed On
Khalfani Muhammad, who I thought would be a decent player but lacked change of direction and didn't look that football fast; developed wildly his last two years (and might have been injured his sophomore one, based on numbers)
Makai Polk, who looks locked in as a contributor at the minimum and a potential cornerstone at WR. I thought he would maybe be a depth guy based on HS tape.
Brandon Singleton, who I thought was destined to be the next Kenny Lawler. Same slinky body type, super fast. Didn't happen.
Malik Psalms, who I thought would be what I hope Tyson McWilliams now becomes. Didn't find a real home on defense for his body or skill set.
McCallan Castles, who I thought would be what I hope DJ Rogers now becomes. Currently at UC Davis.

Currently, Tevin Paul, Craig Woodson, and Daniel Scott all three of whom I didn't look at and think "starter" at any point, but have all carved out excellent roles for themselves.

Of these, Goode is and will always be my greatest call. 185 pound kid, 2 stars, 5 P5 offers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News