ADVERTISEMENT

Wilcox Transcript: 9-6-17

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Video from that is here

We had a situational day today, a lot of third downs, red-zone, a lot of those specifics that we worked on. Got some good things accomplished, but gonna be plenty to clean up tomorrow from the tape. Obviously exciting to have our home opener, get back in our stadium and have our fans and our students and everybody, so the guys are energized for that, but we’ve got plenty of work to do the rest of the week before we kick it off on Saturday.

What’s been the focus for this week?

Same thing we do every week. We know it’s gonna be a tough game. It’s an opponent that creates challenges in different ways, offensively and defensively, and we’re focusing on the things that we can control, how good we can play, so the things that we need to improve upon from last week like we talked about, were working on that so we can focus on those things, and play better than we did a week ago.

How do you guys choose captains?

Just guys that we feel like, we feel like there’s a lot of guys that can represent us well, so we’re going that route to choose the game captains.

Is it a vote with coaches, a consensus?

We talk about it in staff meetings.

Is it a guy on offense, defense, and special teams?

Generally speaking, yeah. It doesn’t have to be that way, but that’s the way it has played out so far.

On the focus being on the team more than Weber State

That’s really what this game’s all about, obviously got a respect for our opponents, and we’re gonna prepare for what they do on tape and their personnel, but we’ve got to work on ourselves individually and collectively, as a unit, offense, defense, special teams so we can be at our best. That’s what it takes.

How do you evaluate a team that played an NAIA team to start and pulled most of their starters early?

We break down more than one game, so obviously we watched their game and we’ll use that, the plays they ran during the game are their plays they’ve worked on. The personnel changed like you said because of the way the game went, but we also will use video from a year ago.

On subbing liberally and whether that will continue

Yeah, we want to be able to play more than 11 guys on one side of the ball and we were able to do that. Guys have earned those reps, we’re not going to play them just because we want to play extra, but if guys earn the right and they can help us win, we’ll do that, especially with the numbers of plays that you’re facing these days, it’s important to be able to roll player on both sides of the ball.

On having Paul and Weaver listed at multiple positions

Just where they could end up playing, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

On Quentin Tartabull

Quentin is a physical guy, he loves the physical aspect of the game. He plays with a ton of energy. He’s gotten better and better since the spring and he brings that mentality to the secondary and the defense and I think it has showed up in his play. I think he’s got things he’s got to work on, but he’s improved tremendously from spring and throughout fall and continue to improve. Gerald has done a really nice job with him like the other guys, but I’m happy with where he’s headed.

What does that do for the secondary and defense to have a guy who’s that physical

I mean it’s just that mentality of defense, that it’s gonna be me or him, he’s got that mentality, there’s some other guys that do as well, but he definitely does and I think he loves that part of the game. He loves to play and you can see it in practice. He’s one of the guys that, we have certain tempos that we practice at, and generally you’ve got to remind Q once in awhile that we’re in this tempo and it’s not live, all the time, but I’d much rather have to do that then tell him to speed up, so I appreciate that about Q.

He’s not a ghost tempo guy?

No, ghost tempo is not his specialty. He’s more of a live tempo guy.

On the Joe Roth Uniforms

I think they’re great, it’s really neat to be able to do that. Really impressed, they did a nice job with them.

Is the history of the program something you want to impress on these guys?

Absolutely, you’re constantly, they learn something a little different as they spend their time here and coaches too. We all have these books and things you read up, and when you’re brand new it’s a process, they don’t have a class so it’s our job to kinda educate the guys, and there’s obviously things in their facility, which is a beautiful facility, has all the tradition and things that have gone on here, which is really special. It’s neat to do things like that, and we’ll talk about it when that game comes again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 90Bear and moonpod
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.