ADVERTISEMENT

Training camp: Day 4 observations (Sunday Aug 4)

gocalbears1994

Butte Community College
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2012
SF Bay Area
I spent ~2 hours watching the Cal football practice this Sunday. It was a cloudy, cool (probably in the mid 60's) morning. I'm sure Matt Moreno will have a more complete breakdown, but thought I would share a few observations.
  • Overall, it appears (perhaps not surprisingly, this early in camp) that the team is a real work-in-progress. Some highlights for sure, on both sides of the ball. But overall my impression was that the play seemed to lack consistency
  • There were two "play the game" 11x11 sessions (each lasting 15 minutes). During that, there were 8 full offensive possessions. 4 of those 8 possessions ended in TDs
  • I focused mainly on watching QB and WR play, and to a lesser extent on RB play. I did not pay much attention to the OL and DL play.
  • For QB, they were definitely splitting reps equally between Fernando Mendoza and Chandler Rogers, so not clear who is QB#1 and who is QB#2. QB#3 was clearly CJ Harris. To my eye, it would seem Mendoza played a little sharper today than Rogers...Mendoza seemed to see the field more clearly and made more longer throws (where as Rogers seemed to throw passes that were mainly <10 yards). On the upside, I don't remember any QB throwing any interceptions during 11x11
  • There was a LOT of mixing between the WR and RB who were playing with the 1's and 2's. Ott didn't play much (presumably to let other RBs get reps) and the WR's each had their moment. I did think #3 Kyion Graves flashed, including in a 40+ yard TD pass from Mendoza
  • In the short session on field goal kicking, Ryan Coe looked real solid nailing two FGs from 45 yards out (with sufficient strength that even when it just passed the goal post, the ball was so high (and right on target) that it was at the top of the goal post. Those two kicks probably would have been good from 50+ yards
  • There was a lot of smack talk and some fiesty exchanges, to the point that Wilcox made the team run sprints at the end of practice. Lot of energy on the field
Bottom line: I was hoping to see that the Cal offense was farther along, but perhaps that was an unrealistic expectation this early in camp.

I'll breakdown a few other things in the next couple posts

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.