ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Open MBB Practice (Transcription inside)

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016
Ben and I took in an open practice today, their 18th overall, and I plan on writing a full report, while Ben will have transcriptions. Anyway, let's get into it

- To start, Cal will have a new broadcast team, as Rich Cellini will be paired with Todd McKim for broadcasts. Jay John was actually in attendance at practice, so he's not gone or anything, frees him up to do other stuff for the benefit of the athletic department.
- This seems kinda easy to say, but the ball went in the basket a lot more than it did a year ago. It doesn't feel like anyone's afraid to shoot from deep, as Vanover and Kelly are decent shooters as bigs
- Harris-Dyson and Gordon were out, JHD due to a hand issue and Gordon due to an achilles flare-up, Wyking expects Gordon back for the exhibition on Tuesday, JHD is day to day
- Lots of good things to say about Matt Bradley, he's built like a freight train and plays like it. Late in their scrimmage, he got a steal at midcourt in transition and threw down a massive dunk. Just an impressive young man, who also came over to shake every media member's hand after.
- Very vocal practice, emanating from Paris Austin. Jacob Orender was also pretty vocal from the scout team
- Wyking did say he expects Andre Kelly to start at the 5. He looks the part, at around 260 and he looked coachable
- Lot more hedging from the bigs on screens, which I like in general, along with a massive focus on closing out on shooters.
- Still not settled on a starting lineup yet for Tuesday, (doesn't help that Juhwan didn't practice), but it's a matter of who starts with Paris, Darius, Justice and Andre. Wyking said they could work Grant at the 4 with that group to start, or Matt at the 3 and Justice at the 4.

More to come

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News