ADVERTISEMENT

Full Wilcox Transcript: 8-14-17

Trace Travers

What a Bonanza!
Staff
Apr 14, 2016

Opening Statement:

Well it’s good to get back out here, they had the day off yesterday, Sunday, rest and recover, kind of our day off each week and so they had a really good heavy practice scrimmage on Saturday as you guys know and we got a chance to go over the tape a few times, then sit with them and meet about it. So it was good to get back out here, I think they looked fresh and we got a lot of really good work in today. It was a little bit shorter practice but hit some situational thing and some of the things from the scrimmage that we needed to clean up. Overall just a ton on the tape to learn from, and I think we got better last week, that was the biggest thing, and we’ve just got to continue to kinda grind at it, and stack these days on top of each other.

What did you want to clean up from the scrimmage?

(Looks at his watch) Not gonna be here for (that long), I mean that’s the way it goes, especially the first scrimmage, but there was a lot of really good things that showed up really at every position, offense, defense, special teams. Then there was, kinda specifics on each side of the ball that I think we need to address, but offensively we did a better job protecting the quarterback. When we were in rhythm offensively, we were stacking some drives together and moving the ball. Obviously we’ve got the turnovers that were huge, we’ve got to protect the ball better on offense and find a way to create more explosive plays, and there were opportunities out there that we didn’t capitalize on offensively, to make some of those plays, because when we made them, that’s what resulted in the touchdown drives. And then defensively, some of the pre-snap communication things we’ve got to get good at. There’s just a lot of, in our style of defense, a lot of communication and some things they’ve got to do before the ball is snapped. So we’ve got to get better there, and it was good to see them running to the ball and the tackling, I think we’ve improved in that area. We’re not where we need to be to play a game, but I think if we can kinda stack these weeks on top of each other, that we’ll get there when the time comes. So really just attitude towards our practice is so important, to come out here and like I said stack these days on top of each other.

Anybody in particular stick out to you

Well if you give me somebody I can talk about them. Jaylinn Hawkins on defense had a couple nice plays on the ball, but it’s a team, you know, so there was a defensive lineman or an outside linebacker that affected the quarterback on a couple of those plays, he did a great job of tracking and going and getting it, so that’s how it works. Offensively, it’s nice to see Demetris make a couple big plays for us. I thought we had some good runs, I thought Vic Enwere ran as good as I’ve seen him run this year. So those things, I thought offensive line, there were some guys that made some strides, maybe you don’t see when you’re sitting up there watching it. I think I could kinda go through each guy, and there’s some things they did well and things they’ve got to get better at.

On Devante Downs as a blitzer Saturday

Devante did some good things, probably the best he played since we came here, and that’s to be expected. Lot of learning, especially in spring and early in camp, but it was good to see him. I think the game’s slowing down for him in terms of what the calls are, what the checks are now he’s able to play.

What have you thought of Evan Weaver now that you’ve had him out here

Evan really flashed on Saturday, he plays very hard, he can run. So it’s great to have him out here, we’re excited about what he did, he was a guy who jumped off the tape for sure.

How’s Mekari doing at the nose guard

He’s doing good, he’s a really smart guy, he’s a tough guy, so he understands what we’re doing on defense and the blocks he’s gonna get at that position. He’s not the tallest guy in the world, but we’re glad we have him and he’ll be a valuable guy for that room.

How much does it help the OL to go against a DL that gives them so many different looks?

Well yeah, hopefully both sides of the ball were not only working on ourselves individually at those positions, but you’re really preparing for things that you’re gonna see throughout the year, and so that’s just part of being a complementary team. So when our offense plays against our defense, they’re gonna see 3-4 looks, and they’re gonna see four down looks, and they’re gonna see man coverage, zone coverage, post safety, split safety, so that helps prepare them. Then on the flip side, the things that our offense does, it’s really valuable for our defense to go against those guys, because you see a lot of different groupings, formations, and run schemes and route combinations. I think that’s just part of growing our team, and those reps are invaluable.

How much does it help the defense to go against different types of QBs

I think it’s, again, we’re not concerned with gameplanning our offense, and offense isn’t concerned with gameplanning our defense. We’re really just trying to challenge ourselves and what we’ve got to do individually to get better collectively.

Aside from Hudson, what does the TE situation look like

Well there’s some other guys that are doing a good job repping in there, there’s other guys that are going to have a little bit more of an opportunity.

Anybody in particular?

We’ll see, I mean Kyle Wells had a good camp so far and there’s a couple other guys that I think could take the next step. This week’s gonna be really key for that position.

How’d the guys who got scholarships come about?

Just guys who have earned it, and done a good job doing what we’ve asked them to do and taking care of their business off the field, and approach it the right way from everything we ask them academically, socially, and athletically. Glad to be able to reward those guys

On how the walkons getting scholarships happened?

We don’t do it like some other places, we just talk to them one on one, and the team finds out. It’s not about me or us giving them, they’ve earned something, that’s how I look at it, and so really excited for them and they’re well deserving.

On physicality this week

This week, tomorrow and Wednesday will be physical practices, and we’ll get some live tackling in either some one on one situations, more drill type work, and then we’ll crank it back up this Saturday and get some more live 11 on 11.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News