ADVERTISEMENT

Cal hoops recruiting breakdown going into June

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Ok, I’m getting to this a little later than usual, but I didn’t forget. I’ll first respond to the questions and then if there is anything of importance that I feel needs to get addressed, I’ll address those things after.

“Given the late date we now see on the calendar what is the likelihood, in your opinion, that we'll see additions to the roster by the time Summer Bridge starts?”-petalumabear

The move in date for Summer Bridge is June 17th, which is 10 days from now. I’m periodically checking to see if there are any updates on the grad transfer front and I’m also keeping a close ear for what Charles Bassey will do, who might reclassify into the 2018 class. The likelihood at the moment looks low since there’s been no movement on the grad transfer front as of Sunday (last time I checked in) and Bassey’s situation remains up-in-the-air.

I do feel Cal has a good shot with Bassey regardless of whether or not he reclassifies. If he decides to stay another year, don’t take that as a bad sign for Cal.

“How many potential grad transfer candidates have been identified? I hope it's more than one, in case the top choice doesn't transfer to Cal.”-philbert0

Cal did have a kid from Eastern Michigan identified, but he went elsewhere due to Cal waiting to see what Jordan Brown would do. I’m only aware of one guy they are eying, but I don’t know whom specifically. The latest I heard was they were waiting for this player to get his release and as of Sunday, there’s been no movement. I’ll check in again in the near future to get a more recent update and let you all know if anything has changed.

“What are the strategies for individual player development and team improvement that the staff discussed during their Napa retreat.

Maybe a Wyking Jones interview is called for, no?”-vineyardview

I actually want to interview Wyking sometime in the late summer early fall to get a better feel for how things are progressing with the new guys. It would be nice to have something on that before the season starts. I don’t know what specifically was discussed on the Napa retreat, but a big part of why they did it was to bond as a staff since they are now a new unit.

What I can tell you is that once Summer Bridge starts, players will begin working in a summer conditioning program to get them in shape for the season. Jordan Jackson will keep the players busy in the weight room, etc. It’s nothing super extensive since the NCAA has limits on practices in the summer, but they will be getting to work later this month.

Other notes:

The biggest target for Cal at the moment is 2019 5-star center Charles Bassey, who could potentially reclassify into the 2018 class. The relationship he has with Jacobi Gordon and Renaud Gordon as well as the relationship his guardian Hennssy Auriantal has with Chris Walker makes Cal a real contender to land him regardless of what class he ends up in. Cal is a sleeper in the Charles Bassey race and I mean that in a good way. Outside of myself and those that are up to date with the happenings on this board, people will be floored if Bassey comes to Cal. Mostly because nobody seems to be aware of all the connections he has to the Cal program. For those that to know who follows whom on Twitter, Bassey does follow Wyking Jones, which is an encouraging sign.

Other kids to keep an eye on are 2019 3-star point guard Boogie Ellis (recently offered), 2019 4-star point guard Kyle Sturdivant, who visited Cal and Stanford this week, 2019 point guard Logan Alters, who also visited Cal this week and has been offered a spot as a preferred walk on, 2019 4-star wing Majok Deng, 2020 4-star power forward Isaiah Cottrell, 2020 4-star point guard Dalen Terry, 2020 4-star shooting guard Nimari Burnett, 2020 4-star shooting guard Jaylen Clark, 2020 4-star shooting guard Tramon Mark, and 2020 4-star small forward Ziaire Williams.

The list above are kids who I feel Cal is gaining the most traction with at the moment. Cal is after other guys like 2020 5-stars Jalen Green, Julian Strawther, and Josh Christopher, 2020 4-stars Johnny Juzang and Jabri Abdur-Rahim, 2019 5-star Josh Green and 2019 4-star PJ Fuller. The issue is I’m not getting the sense those guys are very interested in Cal. That could change, but at the moment, those kids seem to be leaning elsewhere. Kids in the 2021 and 2022 class are too early in their recruitments to really be gaining traction with anyone. Of that batch, 2021 guard Jaden Hardy is the only kid who I’ve interviewed thus far.

As for women’s hoops, the big question is when Texas Tech grad transfer Recee Caldwell announces what she’s going to do. I’ve been told she’s committed, but I’ve also been told that’s contingent on her getting admitted. Until she formally announces what she’s going to do, we’re all just going to have to wait and see. I would imagine we’ll find out soon.

Reactions: LOUMFSG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News