ADVERTISEMENT

2016 efense could be an all timer

Clunky

Drinking John Elway's Tears
Gold Member
Apr 4, 2010
We've seen some bad D before, but this year's edition could set some new records. What I saw last night isn't fixable. The front 7 has no size, minimal talent, and terrible coaching. Mccaffery could go for 500 yards against this group.

The main reason I think this isn't fixable is that there's no foundation to lean on. They can't stop the run AND they can't rush the passer. Cal is in a position in which the only stops they get will come via turnovers or help from penalties.

We've heard the spin about D recruiting. Cal ignores star ratings on D and go after "their kind of guys that fit their system". Unfortunately these diamonds in the rough are turning out to be CZ.

I don't know what the DL coach is doing with technique, but it looks like the DL is being taught to stand straight up at the snap. The pass rushing "moves" are non existent. The scheme isn't doing anything special to try to off-set the lack of talent and technique either.

I know it was only one game and it was halfway around the world, but the problems I saw aren't going away no matter where they play and no matter how much more experience they get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News