ADVERTISEMENT

UA Game Positives and Negatives

hessebear

Missy Franklin's Trophy Husband
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2006
Positives
Jadyn Ott - obviously. He is an incredible weapon. Beyond his two 70+ yard TDs, his 18-yard TD was fantastical, and one of his 3-yard runs for a first down that started with two guys in his face in the backfield may have been even better. He is truly special.
Playcalling - I thought it was outstanding. Loved the 4th down call that turned into a TD pass to Latu. And the setup for the long TD to Hunter was masterfully done. I’m even ok with shuttling the three backs in to not overuse Ott and actually thought Moore and Brooks played well and helped wear down the UA defense. All in all, one of Billy M’s best games.
OL - Much maligned and denigrated, they stepped up today and provided Plummer time (no sacks) and running lanes galore especially in the second half. Vatikani is just nasty.
Second Half Defense - Three turnovers and only one score. They weren’t perfect, but they really stepped it up after a bad first half and helped turn the game around. Stopping them on the initial possession of the second half was particularly important. 

Craig Woodson - Played a great game and had two important tackles for loss. 

Ryan Puskas - One of the few to supply any pass rush with a sack and QB hurry. 

Special Teams - No penalties, no turnovers, no missed kicks, great punting, good coverages, and two decent punt returns? Who are these guys??
No Turnovers - Me like.
Coaching - Nice second half adjustments (e.g., blitz packages, varied coverages, emphasizing the run game in the short side of the field, and utilizing the TEs more).

Negatives
Pass Rush - Still basically non-existent even when they did lots of blitzing in the second half. This may be our biggest weakness right now. 

First Half Defense - Too much bend-and-not-breaking concepts except they forgot the not breaking part. Without a pass rush, pass coverage was exposed a bit especially with their big WRs against our smaller DBs. 
Jermaine Terry - Hate to single him out, but he did have 3 penalties and still has caught only one pass this year even after they tried to throw him a bone with a trick play at the end.
Trick Play at the End - Pretty dumb and unnecessary and it almost cost us our season as it gave them another shot at Plummer. Funny time to get cute for a team that never likes being cute.
Not Getting the Ball to Mavin Anderson - I think he is a weapon that we need to utilize more but he rarely is the first option. They need to find a way.
Penalties - 80 yards of penalties is just too much.
Announcers - Just awful UA homers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News