ADVERTISEMENT

Troy Brown, Jr. sets five official visits; Cal not one of those five, but still in the picture

BenParker

Tiger Woods' 2009 Big Game Speech
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
2017 5-star point guard Troy Brown, Jr. has set his official visits. He tweeted the list below.

Usually, I would say that if Cal doesn't make official visit list of a recruit, that is the recruit's way of saying that he isn't coming to Cal. In the case of Troy Brown, I do not see it this way. Cal has a fabulous relationship with him based on what he has told me and they have really made him a priority. In addition, Eric Bossi has said that Cal is being perceived by many as the front runner to land him.

What's important to keep in mind is that Troy Brown, Jr. has already visited Cal on an unofficial and knows the coaching staff well. I think it is entirely possible that he has opted to not go on an official visit to Cal because he has already gone on an unofficial and knows what it's like. I view this as him keeping his options open and trying to visit as many schools as possible. Like I said, he has a great relationship with the Cal staff and has had nothing but positive things to say about them. I do not view this official visit list as him saying Cal is out of the picture, but rather him taking an advantage to see some other schools for free.

One other thing to take note of is the fact that Jaylen Brown didn't even visit Cal on an official visit. He committed after he already took his five officials elsewhere. In essence, you can commit to a school without going on an official visit. Usually, there is a correlation, but I believe that such is not the case with Troy. To say it more succinctly, him not taking an OV to Cal indicates to me that he already feels like he knows Cal well enough such that an official visit to them wouldn't affect his decision.

I will do what I can to find out more information and get a pulse on what other people think about this situation, but for now, I'm giving you my instant reaction and thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News