ADVERTISEMENT

The gap between haves (SEC) and have nots getting bigger?

jjfriend

Apostle of Carol Christ
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2010
I was watching the early signing day results on ESPN yesterday.

75 of the top 300ESPN players signed with the top 5 recruiting teams in the SEC (Bama, GA, LSU, Florida, Tenn.).

If you add Clemson and Ohio State then those 7 schools signed about 100 of the top 300.

Bama had 22 alone. (Roll Tide).

USC, the great recruiting school with the great new coach and Heisman winner, had 5 of the top 300. This was the same number as the other USC (South Carolina).

Once Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC this is going to get worse.

I basically think we are looking at one conference being the league that matters and almost everyone else is irrelevant.

From this point of view maybe it is good for Cal that USC and UCLA join the Big 10 (where they are going to mostly be mediocre I think). Then perhaps the Pac 10 (or whatever it will be) becomes more reasonable for Cal to actually compete year to year since all the teams in the league will eventually be weaker and no one in the PAC10 any of the other leagues -- with an exception or two like Clemson or OSU perhaps and some flukes in a given year -- are not competing for a national championship anyway so the only thing that could matter to CAL is winning the PAC 10.

I still think this sucks, but Go Bears.

Reactions: dannyroe and Harky4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News