Ryan: About Sami Eleraki?

Discussion in 'Tightwad Hill' started by seattle bear, Nov 9, 2012.

1. seattle bear

seattle bear
    Expand Collapse
    Tosh's Coffee Cup
    Gold Member

The Rivals basketball data base notes that Sami has enrolled at Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kansas. Sami appears to be on a path to resolve his academic deficiencies from Denmark in order to play NCAA D-1 ball.
    Sami didn't meet Cal's entrance requirements, but was he an NCAA qualifier, otherwise? Is Cal still pursuing Eleraki?

2. Ryan Gorcey

Ryan Gorcey
    Expand Collapse
    Tosh's Coffee Cup

He is playing two years at the CC and then he still intends to come to Cal. He was not a qualifier -- I believe -- because of the issues coming from Denmark to the US. It wasn't an issue of not getting in to Cal and still being a qualifier. He just wasn't a qualifier, period.

This post was edited on 11/9 4:45 PM by Ryan Gorcey

3. johnsonbob

johnsonbob
    Expand Collapse
    Tosh's Coffee Cup
    Gold Member

These threads about Eleraki are about as clear to me as pea soup. In laymens terms what is the reason he did not qualify? Did not have enough courses? Not good enough grades? Not the right courses? This is wierd. Why would someone planning to transfer to Cal. go to JC in Kansas? The JC curriculums in Calif are geared for transfer to a Calif university. Does he play JC BB and use eligibility.

4. seattle bear

seattle bear
    Expand Collapse
    Tosh's Coffee Cup
    Gold Member

He'll need to to complete an AA degree consisting of courses and grades that conform to Cal's admission requirements for non-qualifying transfer students from two year colleges. So Sami projects as a 2014 transfer.
    This post was edited on 11/12 4:42 PM by seattle bear

5. johnsonbob

johnsonbob
    Expand Collapse
    Tosh's Coffee Cup
    Gold Member

Thanks Seattlebear. So basically graduation from a Danish high school does not qualify one for Cal admission. An AA from JC does. I am assuming that Eleraki did not go to a Gymnasium (hard G) high school which is the route to a university.

6. seattle bear

seattle bear
    Expand Collapse
    Tosh's Coffee Cup
    Gold Member

Cal has it's own high school course requirements, course specifications and minimum grade achievement levels for both foreign and domestic applicants for admission to the University. Presumably, Sami's high school record did not measure-up.

7. petalumabear

petalumabear
    Expand Collapse
    Tosh's Coffee Cup
    Gold Member

I believe there is also a SAT like exam for foreign educated students. I suppose its possible he didn't test well.